Sherry Trifle Recipe???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

zoey Posts: 1574
Morning! I was wondering if any of you have a nice recipe for sherry trifle please???? I'm not really a fan of it myself but the in-laws are coming for Christmas dinner and FIL loves it so I though I'd give it a bash. (I also posted in the food section but I reckon there's more traffic here) Thanks a million :thnk :thnk By the way I think someone posted on here earlier looking for a nice Christmas dessert. Try this Toblerone and Baileys Cheesecake - it's just diviiiiiine and dead easy to make: viewtopic.php?t=216828
MichelleMyBelle Posts: 1270
I was looking for a cheesecake recipe a while ago, this one sounds perfect! Thanks. I adore Sherry Trifle and my Nan makes the best one. It's a little different in that she doesn't use jelly, but it's so much better I think! Get a large bowl and cover the bottom with Trifle Sponges and some finely chopped Walnuts. Soak with as much Sherry as you like - make sure all the sponges are wet. Don't be shy here, pour it on!!! Next, put some tinned peach slices on top and some glace cherries, halved. Next top with custard and chill in the fridge for a couple of hours. You then need to top with some whipped cream - My Nan puts little blobs on hers and tops each blob with either a walnut half or a glace cherry. It looks a bit 70's but who cares! It's so simple, but OH SO GOOD!!! You can add whatever fruits you like, but I think the peach slices work very well and the walnuts make it taste so yummy.
vitamin1 Posts: 565
tv3 had it on at 930 its repeated on 3e at 10-12
alwayshoping Posts: 409
[quote="MichelleMyBelle":136mikck]I was looking for a cheesecake recipe a while ago, this one sounds perfect! Thanks. I adore Sherry Trifle and my Nan makes the best one. It's a little different in that she doesn't use jelly, but it's so much better I think! Get a large bowl and cover the bottom with Trifle Sponges and some finely chopped Walnuts. Soak with as much Sherry as you like - make sure all the sponges are wet. Don't be shy here, pour it on!!! Next, put some tinned peach slices on top and some glace cherries, halved. Next top with custard and chill in the fridge for a couple of hours. You then need to top with some whipped cream - My Nan puts little blobs on hers and tops each blob with either a walnut half or a glace cherry. It looks a bit 70's but who cares! It's so simple, but OH SO GOOD!!! You can add whatever fruits you like, but I think the peach slices work very well and the walnuts make it taste so yummy.[/quote:136mikck] wheres the jelly in this???? would you not put jelly before custard?
sugarandspice Posts: 2378
she mentions in the beginning that you dont use jelly in this recipe
alwayshoping Posts: 409
oooppppsssss sorry im blind! still a trifle without jelly hmmmm id have to be convinced LOL :o0 :o0
sugarandspice Posts: 2378
i dont like jelly so this could be one for me!
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
This is totally O/T but I haaaate trifle :hic So does everyone in my house. EXCEPT my Dad. He makes a giant trifle every year, and he's the only one who eats it. He eats a bowl every night from Christmas to New Yeas Eve, then gets sick of trifle until the following year :o0 Now, my Dad is a life-long pioneer, but his trifle has about a gallon of sherry in it, you could actually get hammered eating this stuff. The first Christmas OH spent wth us was momentous for many reasons - chief among which is that he discovered a love of sherry trifle. When my father produced it at the end of dinner, we all told OH he didn't have to eat any if he didn't want to, but being the polite well brought-up chap he is, he took a portion. Well he LOVED it - I don't know if my Dad was delighted someone was finally enjoying his hard work, or sad that he had to share the trifley goodness :o0 But anyway the two of them ate tonnes of it and were all "giggly" for the rest of the evening. PS - my Dad makes a very fancy trifle with fresh raspberries, no tinned fruit for him. Might be worth a try if anyone's looking for a change?
MichelleMyBelle Posts: 1270
Yeah I've heard of fresh raspberries being used, yum yum! I like Jelly, but not in a trifle. It's just the way my Nan always done it, so im my world a 'proper' trifle doesn't have one! You could always pour some jelly over the soaked sponges and fruit though and just chill overnight before adding the custard. But it's so nice without! The best bit is the bottom, as it's all mushy with little bits of walnut. So nice with the cherries!
zoey Posts: 1574
Thanks so much girls! I'll let you know how my trifle turns out!