shit girls what to do?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

strawberry shortcake Posts: 9094
ok so as you may know i did the wedding planner course last year that paul mayfair organised then he went bust never heard from him again or my cert. now i had enrolled in a different distance learning one costing 818 a diploma, turns out its exactly the same course. now i was on there website nothing about paul mayfair or IWEPI but seriously exactly the same!!! :ooh unless she was a student and started her own planning course, or unless they all use the same but i dont think so. been onto the credit card company and they said i need to get them to refund the mons first. if it is im so disheartened girls iv been trying for ages to get into event planning. :o( what would you do?
sun flowers Posts: 3421
mmmmmmm.....defo look for a refund but would you not contact the existing event companies and ask for work experience or a part time job and learn from them as well.....
*bubblez* Posts: 1599
I'd ring them and try get the money back, have you looked into any colleges that do event planning? there are a few that do part time ones... I feel really bad for you hon its really crap
[quote="*Bubblez*":nwjnxjvc]I'd ring them and try get the money back, have you looked into any colleges that do event planning? there are a few that do part time ones... I feel really bad for you hon its really crap[/quote:nwjnxjvc] thanks girls, ye bubblez checked colleges here and there well over 1k and startat 6:30 in town in finish at half 5 in tallaght no way id get there, think il just ring get a refund be on safe side
TokenMale Posts: 6845
You know, Strawberry, I don't think going to college will make you an event planner. If you want to be an event planner, be an event planner. I'm serious. There's nothing you can't learn on the job, and enthusiasm and hard work are always worth more than a certificate. Go do it!
[quote="TokenMale":12kh09bt]You know, Strawberry, I don't think going to college will make you an event planner. If you want to be an event planner, be an event planner. I'm serious. There's nothing you can't learn on the job, and enthusiasm and hard work are always worth more than a certificate. Go do it![/quote:12kh09bt] Thanks TM, i was going to do fliers and place them around the shops and see what happens, just usually people look for a bit of back up with the qualification
Elliecat Posts: 2725
[quote="TokenMale":3h1vwpbf]You know, Strawberry, I don't think going to college will make you an event planner. If you want to be an event planner, be an event planner. I'm serious. There's nothing you can't learn on the job, and enthusiasm and hard work are always worth more than a certificate. Go do it![/quote:3h1vwpbf] Totally agree with the above, get some experience and it'll be worth more than any certificate. I was in events for four years and loved every minute of it even though I had no formal training. I'd love to get back into it, unfortunately at the minute mortgage takes priority with bump on the way!
TokenMale Posts: 6845
[quote="strawberry shortcake":12lsglkp] Thanks TM, i was going to do fliers and place them around the shops and see what happens, just usually people look for a bit of back up with the qualification[/quote:12lsglkp] Can't hurt to try. I've never hired an event planner, but honestly, it wouldn't cross my mind to look for a qualification. I'd be far more swayed by someone who could talk the talk and had good ideas etc. If you can point at other events you've worked on (no matter how small) then that would help too. I'd be far more likely to hire someone with a bit of experience doing small jobs than somebody fresh out of college waving a certificate.
[quote="TokenMale":hmcjhx4t][quote="strawberry shortcake":hmcjhx4t] Thanks TM, i was going to do fliers and place them around the shops and see what happens, just usually people look for a bit of back up with the qualification[/quote:hmcjhx4t] Can't hurt to try. I've never hired an event planner, but honestly, it wouldn't cross my mind to look for a qualification. I'd be far more swayed by someone who could talk the talk and had good ideas etc. If you can point at other events you've worked on (no matter how small) then that would help too. I'd be far more likely to hire someone with a bit of experience doing small jobs than somebody fresh out of college waving a certificate.[/quote:hmcjhx4t] ye i suppose your right there must really get up off my bum now and do something about it
*bubblez* Posts: 1599
strawberry, do you have anyone in your friends or social circle that are organising an event? if so ask them can you do it instead, offer it free of charge if its not too big an event, that way they can give you references. Also check out some new hotels approach them and explain your interest and any experience to date including organising your wedding. Also know why you want to do it, you have an eye for detail etc etc. You could also think about contacting tv3, rte and tg4 ask them if they have any upcoming programmes around event planning. Its a long shot but its how my friend got involved in something a few years back and now its her full time career. I also have another friend who's into event planning so I'll have her for some info and get back to you. you could also advertise your services on WOL, offer to help out with weddings or do on the day organisation. The ladies on here are a great support and if you're offering a lower price then the more "experienced" planners you'll be onto a winner.