Shopping beyond Newry / Banbridge!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
Hi girls Just wondering if any of you have gone on shopping jaunts to the North - beyond Newry and Banbridge? (by jaunt I mean there and back comfortably within a day)? I hear there are bigger and better Sainsburys stores beyond Newry (Foresthill near Belfast is supposed to be the biggest but another one is also meant to be good)....I wouldn't mind hitting an Asda...and of course other shops that we don't have down South would be great. Not really interested in chain stores that we have here e.g. Next, Debenhams. Any advice appreciated! We were planning to go this weekend so don't know if we'd hold out for Ikea.
Mrs.slightly bonkers Posts: 3289
Id love to find out also grunge bride. We could do a sneaky and post in Northern ireland weddings. :innocent:
jellywellies Posts: 2268
what kind of shops are you looking?? Its forestside on the outer ring of belfast. In it is Sainsburys and other shops. There is an asda on the shore road in Belfast, but a bigger one in Cookstown and Coleraine. I wouldnt advise going to Junction 1 in Antrim, but thats my opinion. If you wait until next week Ikea is opening on the Holywood exchange in Belfast Thurs 13th Dec.
Shannoncailin Posts: 1038
I live in Belfast and Forestside isn't that great really!!! It's pretty small. Lisburn actually would have more shops than it and its just off M1 so you wouldn't even have to come as far as Belfast. Just to say a huge new shopping centre called Victoria Square is opening in Belfast city centre the 6th of March. Can't wait til then.
Jinja Posts: 95
There is a Sainsbury's at Sprucefield, just outside Lisburn head up the A1 north from Newry toward Belfast On your way up why not stop at The Outlet [url:n46hpbop]http://www.the-outlet.co.uk/[/url:n46hpbop] it’s on the A1 outside Banbridge. After The Outlet and Sainsburys head to Yorkgate in Belfast. Here there is a massive ASDA Living store – home stuff, electrical and clothes also on site is Big W (Woolies), 5 minutes away from here up the Shore Road is another ASDA – foodstuff. Would agree with the other posts here
[quote="alwaysabridesmaid":bef7q270]what kind of shops are you looking?? Its forestside on the outer ring of belfast. In it is Sainsburys and other shops. There is an asda on the shore road in Belfast, but a bigger one in Cookstown and Coleraine. I wouldnt advise going to Junction 1 in Antrim, but thats my opinion. If you wait until next week Ikea is opening on the Holywood exchange in Belfast Thurs 13th Dec.[/quote:bef7q270] Alwaysabridesmaid, is the Shore road in Belfast very far from Forestside though? Also, any idea how long it would take to get up there? H2B is tolerant, but I don't want him flat out driving from the crack of dawn til nighttime. Where are Cookstown and Coleraine in relation to the Dublin - Newry - Belfast route? [quote="Shannonlass":bef7q270]I live in Belfast and Forestside isn't that great really!!! It's pretty small. Lisburn actually would have more shops than it and its just off M1 so you wouldn't even have to come as far as Belfast. [/quote:bef7q270] I thought Forestside was the biggest Sainsburys in the north? Or do you mean the rest of the shopping centre is small / not that great? What does Lisburn have? There's another Sainsburys in Sprucefield, is that any good? Ideally a Sainsburys, Asda and some other shops that we don't have down south would be the best thing.
jellywellies Posts: 2268
Well the Sainsburys at Lisburn - beside it is Argos, Currys, Smyths Toys and across the road is Marks & Spencers, JJB Sports, Boots, a garden shop and home furnishing shops. Cookstown and Coleraine would be too far up North for you. Shore Road is in Belfast, if you go up the M1 to belfast and head for the M2, its the turn off for Shore Road - Docks. Before then is Yorkgate where someone earlier mentioned Asda living which is quite good.
Elliecat Posts: 2725
Grunge, Sainsbury's in Forestside probably is the biggest, but to be honest its not worth the extra miles in comparison to Newry if that's all you're going for. There is a decent Dunnes and M&S in Forestside too, and a good big sainsbury's wineshop, but other than that the shops there are quite small, nowhere nearly as good as the city centre. You'd probably do Dublin to Forestside in about two hours, its right on the edge of town, but bear in mind traffic in Newry is a nightmare at the weekends coming up to Christmas. Shore Road is at the other side of city to Forestside, but again fairly easy to get to. York Gate is fairly central and from there its not far to city centre where you have all the usual highstreet stores. Coleraine is miles away - about another hour and a half on top of your Dublin to Belfast route, and Cookstown is also miles away. Lisburn has all the usual highstreet stores, but agian I can't imagine the Sainsbury's being any better than Newry although I haven't been in this one myself.
Hmm thanks girls. I suppose I wouldn't mind hitting an Asda as a change, so if it was feasible to make Sainsburys in Sprucefield and then Asda somewhere else that would be good, but I think all the Asdas are a bit of a distance away. How long would it take to get to that Asda Living store (on the Shore Road?) It's a shame most of the shops (apart from supermarkets) are the same as down south and therefore not worth visiting on a day away if I can go to them in Dublin any time! Appreciate all the help!!!!
Jinja Posts: 95
Sprucefield to Asda Living at Yorkgate, Belfast is about 12 miles. Kildare to Yorkgate (going past Sprucefield) would take about 2 hr 25 min (N7, M50, M1, A1, M1). The Asda Living is only 5 mins from the Asda (food) store on the Shore road