Short hair

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

daffodilbaby Posts: 916
Ok I'm mad to cut my hair but petrified to do it :-8 I've always had long hair but I'm useless at doing anything with it. It's either down straight tucked behind my ears or tied back in a pony - and not even a polished sleek pony :-8 thinking of going short but I'm 28 and because im married years and have kids people presume I'm older ( or maybe I look old :o0 ) but my question is does short hair make you look older?? And is it more hard work ie ya can't just tie it up??
tassajara Posts: 723
I think it depends on your hair type and the haircut you get. My hairdresser in Ireland always recommends to not go too classic with a short hair cut so it doesn't make you look old. Try to play with highlights or get lots of choppy layers or go really tight around the ears and nape of your neck (lots of hair around here is what makes a short haircut look frumpy). That being said, I tend to always wear my hair the same way everyday, it's the advantage of having a really good and striking haircut. It does require lots of upkeep though. Unless I am trying to grow it out a tiny bit, I need a haircut every 6 to 8 weeks. I really love Emma Watson's hair when it was short or Michelle Williams' hair from Vogue 2009, if you want any inspiration for beautiful cuts. [img:36dsxjxd]http://www.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Michelle-Williams-Vogue-Magazine-October-2009-Cover-Picture.jpg[/img:36dsxjxd] [img:36dsxjxd]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qy7VwTdGLfE/TWO8M7kHwfI/AAAAAAAACfs/y0OfZbjQkUM/s640/Emma-Watson-short-hair1.jpg[/img:36dsxjxd]
mrs bmw Posts: 6447
I had hair just below my bra strap and I chopped it all off to chin length, reason? I was black from a bottle, brown naturally and I want to be red now but was not willing to strip my hair. I hate it short I prefer a bit of length in it, I think I actually look younger with short hair.
28-sept-10 Posts: 1832
IVE HAD MY HAIR AS SHORT AS THE SECOND PIC FOR A FEW YEARS NOW, I TRY TIME AND TIME AGAIN TO LET IT GROW BUT ITS SOOOOOOOO AWKWARD LOOKING, I LOVE IT SHORT AS THERE IS NO EFFORT TO DOING IT AND IT DRIES IN MINUTES!!! I HONESTLY DONT THINK SHORT HAIR MAKES YOU LOOK OLDER I THINK IT MAKES PEOPLE LOOK QUITE FRESH :eek BUT IM FED UP WITH IT NOW I WANT LONG HAIR AGAIN, IVE BEEN GROWING IT FOR MONTHS AND AM DETERMINED THIS TIME :weep :weep
Time For A Change Posts: 6885
One bit of advice, don't go for the total chop in one go. Get a bit cut, see if you like it, and work your way up. Just to warn you, the growning out stage is an utter nightmare!!! On the plus side, it's so handy when it's short when you get up in the morning.
wifeyttc Posts: 2507
I had hair down to my hips up until last thurs. I had it in my head for a while to get the big chop. I booked into David Marshalls in town as I wanted somewhere I knew i could trust to do a very good cut. I got a girl called Grace she was brill. I got an Aline bob done and I love it! Should have got it done ages ago. I dont think it makes me look any older than before. [attachment=0:2hb3v3xm]lety a line hair cut.jpg[/attachment:2hb3v3xm]
Time For A Change Posts: 6885
See, I'd love to get that kind of style, but my hair has other ideas. :duh: I have a slight kink in my hair, so I don't think that style would work now. I used to straighten my hair every day, but that was before those protective sprays arrived, so my hair would be "cooked", so it got into a right mess. For some reason the older I get the kinkier my hair gets (that sounds a bit rude :o0 ), which means I'd have to go back to the straightener. Some days my hair is curlier than other, as in the other day I had lovely curls (one or two were even slightly corkscrew type) and then another day I could have a head of frizz. I'd really love a totally different hairstyle, but I feel that I'm restricted with the kinks. In my 20's, I had really short hair, loads of people loved it and said it really suited me. I'm not sure if it would now - and from day 1, hubby has said he hates short on women.