should I be taking anything else besides follic acid?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Long Legs Lizzy Posts: 233
Hi girls, Just wondering if anyone recommends taking anything else besides follic acid?my doc didn't say and i'm almost 3 months pregnant so just wondering should I take anything else. I was thinking of vitamin B for tiredness especially but is it necessary or dangerous?? (not sure) Thanks Lizzy
mrssunflower Posts: 3651
Hi Lizzy I've not been taking anything else either, doc said I didn't need anything. But mother and mil are doing my head in about iron so much that I've told them that I'm taking it now :o0
angel14 Posts: 24
Hi there long legs lizzy I am just going into Week 6 of my pregnancy. My local GP and nurse recommended that Folic Acid and also Pregnacare tablets which are both available in your local chemist. I am getting my bloods done next week so my GP said not to take any iron supplements until he sees the results as I'm vegetarian and can be a bit low in iron from time to time but I did read somewhere that pregnant women should consult their GP first before taking iron supplements. I hope this helps.
Maxi-Babe Posts: 327
My doc recommended MumOmega - I took folic acid for the first few months and then I changed to MumOmega for the remainder of my pregnancy and would really recommend them. They provide essential fatty acids for both baby and you. I felt great when I took them. http://www.equazen.com/default.aspx?pid=33 They are prticularly good if you plan to breastfeed. I had planned to do this, but it didn't work out for various reasons, so I stopped taking them. If I had continued breastfeeding I would have continued taking them. HTH
alton Posts: 3077
My GP was adament that I shouldn't take anything except folic acid for the first 14 weeks and then iron after that. She said that the "run-down" feelings are just part and parcel of pregnancy and multi-vitamins won't cure that. Her rationale is that anything that hasn't actually been proven safe for pregnant women is best avoided. A bit extreme.