Should I change my venue??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Pinklashes Posts: 11
Hi ladies, I'm totally confused over what to do about our venue. We booked it in February and paid deposit. We have had no problems with them at all. There's one thing niggling at me though, it's not exactly a 5 star hotel like other weddings we have been to and not at all what I thought i'd have liked. It''s quite old fashioned and cosy. That aside, we fell in love with it, the room is beautiful and the whole place has character. There are only 15 bedrooms in it and this is what I'm struggling with. The majority of guests will need to stay in B&B's. A friend of H2B passed a comment something like " bringing 150 people and nowhere for them to stay" :o( i haven't been able to get this comment out of my head. What will people think when they realise there are no rooms for them in the hotel. Am I being totally stupid worrying what guests will think of the venue and sleeping arrangements :duh:
lorraine78 Posts: 988
I wouldn't worry about a silly remark like that.You chose the venue as you loved it.Lots of our guests opted to stay in another hotel on our wedding night.I definitely wouldn't change my venue over 1 remark :)
Panama Posts: 383
This sounds really similar to my situation and my venue - 19 rooms and by the time we accommodate just the wedding party there wont be many left. But to be honest it's never entered my head!! I've been to many weddings where I didn't stay in the same hotel and its never affected my enjoyment. Sure, it's great to be able to just fall up the stairs at the end of the night but I wouldn't' let this ruin your feelings on somewhere you love. We have control over allocating the rooms so we are going to ensure that the people we really want there - eg for breakfast the next day etc - are guaranteed rooms. So close family, friends etc, not long lost relatives and neighbours. Don't second guess yourself hon or let others comment make you question your decisions. P x
MrsGilhooley Posts: 1235
[quote="Pinklashes":380dezke]A friend of H2B passed a comment something like " bringing 150 people and nowhere for them to stay" :o( i haven't been able to get this comment out of my head. What will people think when they realise there are no rooms for them in the hotel. Am I being totally stupid worrying what guests will think of the venue and sleeping arrangements :duh:[/quote:380dezke] I'm in slightly grumpy so I think F*ck 'em - if its a wedding venue that seats lots of people, there'll be plenty of B&Bs - they're cheaper anyway. Dont be worrying yourself
karinafinegan Posts: 33
Hi Pinklashes, Have your wedding where and how you want it. It's your special day and don't let anyone sully it for you. Many people prefer to stay in the more affordable nearby B&Bs and you can make things easier for your guests by compiling a list of guesthouses and B&Bs in the area. Have you considered creating a wedding website for this purpose? Best, Karina
streco80 Posts: 343
I agree with all the above posts. Have your wedding where you and you're oh want it. If that horrible pass remarkable woman doesn't want to go due to the fact that she can't stay in the actual venue then she doesn't have to. In fact she's going to have a choice between a few different b+B's in the area so she should be delighted. My venue is a big hotel with plenty of room for everyone however I do know a few people that will stay I local b+B's due to cutting costs down etc....I won't be insuted
wollysocks Posts: 1773
This sounds the same as our venue- only 15 rooms too. We allocated them- to family and offered the few left over to a few friends who were older/ pregnant. People did moan- there will always be people who moan I think...most of my relatives moaned as I didn't have it locally where I am from. But there were lots of b and bs nearby- we made up a list, rang round and counted if there were enough rooms available fairly locally for all our guests. We checked that they were free on the date of our wedding-i.e that there was no other wedding/big event that they might be booked for. I think we even provisionally booked a lot of rooms and told our parents that anybody worried about their accommodation, we could organize their b and b. On our invitations, we asked anybody having any problems with accommodation to get in touch with us. We checked with hotel that there were enough taxis locally too after the wedding- or you could hire a bus to go round dropping people off. It worked out much cheaper for them anyways than a hotel. We have often not stayed in the hotel of the wedding, preferring a nearby b and b at less than half the price. If you are happy otherwise with your venue, don't let that put you off.... :wv
Mrs Stewart Posts: 443
Hi There, I recently received a save the date from my friend who has booked a similar venue to you - very few bedrooms & those that are available are being allocated to the briadal party & couple's families. She did however, enclose a list of loads of alternatives (from hotels, B&B, guesthouses & self catering apartments & houses) in the area and also suppliers (make up & hairdressers) aswell as taxi numbers & some information about the loca area. This, as far as I'm concerned, is more then sufficient & most people have now fixed up their accomodation with no issues. There were a few moans & groans but they were soon silenced once every option was out there. I would suggest doing something similar. Do not, for a second, compromise the venue you love to please anylone else, you'd end up regreting it. People will be grand and delighted to be there for you on the day. You could consider putting on some transport if other accomodation choices are a distance away, but thats up to you. Don't get caught up with trying to please everyone cos it's IMPOSSIBLE!. Have a fabulous wedding, xx :lvs
Pinklashes Posts: 11
Hi ladies, Sorry I haven't been able to get online all weekend O:| Thanks so much for all your kind comments. I think my mind is at rest now, we are planning on giving as much info regarding b&b's etc with our invitations. I suppose those that have problems finding accommodation will most likely have left it til the last minute to get themselves sorted. We'll put a bus on too as the reception is in Meath and we are living in Dublin. Will move on to the next stage of the planning now and stop thinking of it!!!!! Roll on September :lvs
JanuaryJones Posts: 164
Some guests will be delighted that they don't have the expense of a hotel night. Don't let madam interfere with your plans . Your day your way