Should I drink water before scan-UPDATE

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sunnyside Posts: 3164
Girls I'm having a scan today to check if all is ok after some bleeding last week. Do you think I should drink water beforehand? haven't been told what to do by the hospital. Would they be able to do an abdominal scan at 7 w 2d?
mum of 2 Posts: 271
yes you will need to drink water, full bladder needed for scans before 14 weeks. Best of luck let us know how you get on. m
sinion Posts: 6050
oh definitely yes, I had a scan at 7 weeks and another at 10 and another at 11 and needed a full bladder at each. Unfortunately at the 10 week one they asked me to give a urine sample beforehand so I had to empty my bladder and the scan was really bad, could hardly see a thing, the doctor even had trouble finding the heartbeat and it was quite upsetting. So very full bladder! best of luck hon, let us know how you get on :xxx
lila Posts: 982
Hi Sunnyside it depends on whether you will be doing an internal or external scan. I think if you are 7 weeks it will be internal. I had one at 6.5 weeks and i had a full bladder going in but they told me as it would be an internal one I would need an empty bladder. Drink plenty just in case.... let us know how it goes...
Lilly* Posts: 153
As Lila said it depends if its an internal scan or not, for an internal scan the bladder needs to be empty. Best of luck with the scan I think we have the same due date
sinion Posts: 6050
my first one was internal too and they were telling me to drink water beforehand?? I think just go and drink water anyway, it's much easier to empty your bladder quickly than to fill it! When you're there you can say it to them and if you need to empty it you can go straight away.
jellybaby Posts: 2316
At 7 weeks, definitely don't drink water as it will most likely be internal. I had a scan for bleeding at 7w 1d. I assumed it would be abdominal (never even crossed my mind that it would be internal) and I drank loads of water. When I got there she went straight fror the internal scan (said she wouldn't see anything on abdominal). When nothing came up on the screen my heart nearly stopped with the fright. She sent me off to pee and when I came back all looked well. Can you ring and ask them what type of scan it will be? Because I wouldn't recommend going in with a full bladder the way I did and having an internal scan, because you'll probably see nothing and it will just upset you more. HTH
bridalnowmam Posts: 2202
Girls Sorry for hijacking, but can someone tell me what happens at an internal scan? For personal reasons all of my scans will be internal and I am abit worried about them? :wv thanks
Blackbird Posts: 5135
I had an internal at 6 weeks and didn't need a full bladder. I went back at 9 weeks for what I presumed would be another internal but she decided to try an abdominal scan - no full bladder but all was fine. Let us know how you get on, best of luck with it. Re the internal scans, they are fine. They use a long probe thing (sounds worse than it is!). No point in saying it's not uncomfortable cos it is but it's worth it when you see the baby on the screen and the little heartbeat flashing away.
Perci Posts: 3847
I had an external scan at 9.5 weeks. The receptionist told me to drink water so I guzzled it down in the waiting room and then I went into the consultant ready to burst and he told me there was no need! The wee bean was squished from my huge bladder and he said it just made me more uncomfortable. Maybe it depends on the machine being used.