Should I get another scan or wait until 22 week?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

glowgal Posts: 949
Hey, just looking for some opinions. I had a scan at Ulstrsound Dimensions at 12 weeks which was great and I'm not booked into Holles Street for a scan until Im almost 22 weeks, maybe Im being anxious coz its my first but I feel like its such a gap between scans so I was thinking of getting another scan done at 17 weeks. What do you think? Is it worth it, or should I just wait unti the big scan in Holles Street? Thanks
lolabelle Posts: 3311
I would do it. I'm only 4 weeks and dying to get a scan done! :o0 If you can afford a private scan I don't see why you shouldn't do it if it puts your mind at ease
mysteriousmise Posts: 1783
Well, it depends on how anxious you are. I'm not due to be scanned till 21 weeks (in HS) but if you've an appointment with HS between now and then, chances are they'll be giving you a quick scan when they see you (I was in at 10 weeks and 13 weeks, and was scanned both times - am going public). If you're worried, then it's €125 well spent. If you aren't all that worried, it's €125 you could spend on something else!
mommylicious Posts: 836
Oh I don't know, I had my last scan at 20 weeks and my next one is not until 31 weeks!!! Which is only 3 weeks away now but I've found it so long waiting. Would have loved to have gone for a private scan but it's a lot of money imo and I'd rather put that towards stuff for the baby iykwim. Such a personal decision, if you feel you need to go, go. if you think you can wait, wait. Not too helpful I'm afraid, but it really is up to you.
StarXX Posts: 141
You cant put a price on piece of mind, if it would make you feel better, go for it and if money is a concern maybe conciously cut-back on something to make up for the extra cost. I am terrible person to advise though as I couldn't even wait until next Monday for a scan and went off today to ultrasounds in Blackrock and had one!!! That sad I'm floating on air now. You'll make the right decision for you in the end xxx
vanilla icecream Posts: 2125
Its is such a long wait. My first scan in HS with ds was 20 weeks. We booked in and got a private one done at 12 weeks. If you can afford another scan you should go for it
Rubyrose Posts: 5522
Im with OLOL in Drogheda, we only get a scan a 12 weeks and thats it. Im 30 weeks now and havent gotten any private scans, I personally didnt feel the need to. But if it puts your mind at ease then definately go for it.
ttc_bfp_opk_wtf Posts: 682
glogal, I've been scanned every 2-3 weeks and at your stage I found it hugely reassuring. The one thing I would say is that since I've been able to feel the baby kicking, the scans have been less important as you can literally feel that baby is ok. At 17 weeks you'll be very close to feeling kicks and might that be enough to reassure you? Then again at 17 weeks they can probably tell you gender which might be a great way to bond with baby?
MirandaMay Posts: 25
Hi I am public but supplement the one scan I get at OLOL with private scans. I used to be a semi private patient but cant afford that anymore. I find the private scans much more rewarding than the ones I got as a semiprivate patient. Your not rushed and the sonographers are more conscious of you enjoying the experience rather than having to clear a room full of patients. Yes it does cost but I shopped around. The prices vary quite a lot so do your homework. I used babyscan.ie in Swords. Loved it and the sonographer. I think they have a southside place too.
expecting no3 Posts: 623
[quote="glowgal":2iaar4wv]Hey, just looking for some opinions. I had a scan at Ulstrsound Dimensions at 12 weeks which was great and I'm not booked into Holles Street for a scan until Im almost 22 weeks, maybe Im being anxious coz its my first but I feel like its such a gap between scans so I was thinking of getting another scan done at 17 weeks. What do you think? Is it worth it, or should I just wait unti the big scan in Holles Street? Thanks[/quote:2iaar4wv] Hey Glowgal, Is there any particular reason why you want to have another scan. Are you worried about something in particular. If you're not then I would wait til your hospital apts. The intervals between scans are fairly standard. You usually have a 12 week one and then another main one at 20 weeks.There have been unconfirmed reports that ultrasounds can be damaging so its advisable to limit the exposure as much as possible thats why hospitals only do a small no of them unless its medically required. I wouldnt have any more than what the hospitals provide but thats just me personally.