Menu

Should one get the flu jab?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Busbybabe Posts: 562
I had the chance to get the flu jab at work but declined it, however, after having an ante-natal visit this week it was suggested that I should get it! I don't really believe in getting all sorts of crap injected into you if you don't need it, but now the nurse has me worried. Should I get it?
babydust2012 Posts: 4736
I don't think I got it on DS but the doctor advised me to get it along with whooping cough vaccine aswell at my next appointment but I haven't decided either. I'd be kinda the same thinking in that I don't like taking medicines unnecessarily etc... I'd welcome some advice.
Doozer28 Posts: 881
I'm not going to get it, I've never once gotten the flu so not going to bother. I'm not against it though, being completely honest, I don't want to pay the €20 for it! It is recommended by the hse that pregnant women get it though. I've seen this topic posted before & there is generally mixed views on it.
babydust2012 Posts: 4736
Doozer would it not be free as part of your maternity care no?
Doozer28 Posts: 881
No it's not, only free if you have a medical card
Solar Powered Posts: 548
[quote="babydust2012":16ghyaoa]I don't think I got it on DS but the doctor advised me to get it along with whooping cough vaccine aswell at my next appointment but I haven't decided either. I'd be kinda the same thinking in that I don't like taking medicines unnecessarily etc... I'd welcome some advice.[/quote:16ghyaoa] The midwife told me that you're only supposed to get the whooping cough vaccine after 27 weeks so watch out for that. I got the flu jab - the €20 is an admin (injection) charge they told me.
mrspiggy Posts: 1289
The first time I got the flu jab was when I was pregnant with DD as it wasn't long after the swine flu. I have got every year since as work offer it free of charge and I've not suffered any side effects. I'd rather not get the flu if I can help it. The vaccine may not prevent you getting the flu but if you are unlucky enough to get the flu it should't be as bad as if you didn't have the vaccine. Your immune system is weaker while you're pregnant.
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
I didn't get it.. I never got the flu before. My sister gets it every year as she has asthma and she gets a slight dose of the flu after it very time and that's what put me off getting it
ructions Posts: 2689
CherylC Posts: 1071
I got it. Its recommened for pregnant ladies by the HSE, the NHS, Holles st etc. Personally I believe that they know best and I trust their recommendations. It is dangerous to get flu while pregnant and it is a safe vaccine, so I see no reason not to agree with their advice.