Should you show people your dress before the day!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

shoegals Posts: 1640
I'm going in to town soon to hopefully pick my wedding dress. Last week in work we were talking about dresses etc and one of the girls which I get on great with said show me what you're thinking of, so with no need for encouragement I said, pronovias - Ronda or Essence D750.. When we looked up the net she saw the dresses, looked me up and down (obviously judging my figure - I'm a size 12 and about 5"3) and said "Eh, I just can't imagine you in a wedding dress" What the hell is that supposed to mean do you think it was the fact she didn't like them or just thinks I'm too fat for them? Had to laugh, but I think I wont be too pushed on showing anyone else just incase their opinion changes my mind :o0 :o0 Anyone else have this experience??
angel1978 Posts: 1154
I would take it with humour. A lot of people never thought they would see me getting married and still laugh and say, i just cant imagine you getting married, so i dont think it was meant in a hurtful way. Im refusing to show anyone outside my 3 bridesmaids and WOL my dress. I dont want people to have an expectation of what the dress was like beforehand on a model if you know what i mean. I am a size 8 so not worried there but im not exactly airbrushed like they are :o0 .
missi moo moo Posts: 1700
I'm not showing anyone even wols cause I reckon a few may know me on the site. One thing I've noticed with weddings is people will comment on everything!!! I'm just saying I want you to be surprised on the day or by the photos its a secret! :) So say nothing and keep it as a surprise. :wv
milis Posts: 7998
I showed my dress to very few people, and I didn't post it on here either. The more opinions you have the more people who will not like your choice! Before the wedding I think people feel compeled to give their opinion, positive or otherwise, on the day nobody would have the cheek to do something like that!
deda Posts: 1220
Only people who have seen my dress is my mother my sisters and my bridesmaids
May09Bride Posts: 1050
I shar an office with another lady, she asked me too what I was thinking of style wise, when I showed her a few dresses on line that I liked she said oh you cant have a belly in them it will show everything!!!! I was like "hello I am not wearing a belly top here" so needless to say dont pay any attention to work collegues/friends, keep the dres to yourself and you wont have any thing to worry about.
La09 Posts: 21
I'm not going to show anyone in work or tell them what my dress is like purely because I know there will be a lot of opinions thrown in that I won't want to hear. I'm just going to say I heard it's bad luck to show people! But don't think twice about what was said to you, once you like the dress yourself no-one else matters :compress [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/:33r8670a][img:33r8670a]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;4;116/st/20090822/e/My+Wedding+Day/dt/6/k/6c00/event.png[/img:33r8670a][/url:33r8670a]
DrWhosPoopy Posts: 654
I've showed anyone who's asked for the most part, and that includes H2B.
Ficidy Posts: 1753
[quote="shoegals":2omhcjcn]I'm going in to town soon to hopefully pick my wedding dress. Last week in work we were talking about dresses etc and one of the girls which I get on great with said show me what you're thinking of, so with no need for encouragement I said, pronovias - Ronda or Essence D750.. When we looked up the net she saw the dresses, looked me up and down (obviously judging my figure - I'm a size 12 and about 5"3) and said "Eh, I just can't imagine you in a wedding dress" What the hell is that supposed to mean do you think it was the fact she didn't like them or just thinks I'm too fat for them? Had to laugh, but I think I wont be too pushed on showing anyone else just incase their opinion changes my mind :o0 :o0 Anyone else have this experience??[/quote:2omhcjcn] They are beautiful dresses!! Don't mind that twit you work with - she's only jealous!
bridetobe2009 Posts: 1423
Im not going to show anyone my dress apart from my bridesmaids and my mam.Dont mind the girl in work.Those dresses are fab.