Sick Certs

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Fur Posts: 131
Girls how do scik certs work? Who do i hand it into? Had one there last month but my employer took the week off as my holidays with normal pay O:| thanks xx
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
If your sickness was pregnancy related your employer has to pay you for that - they cannot dock you or take the time out of your hols! if you ring citizens advice they will confirm this!
the moms Posts: 1427
Where I work you hand it in to HR along with a form we have to fill out for holidays or sick days. I would give it to HR or to your manager. Make sure you get those holidays back! They shouldn't have done that.
bride. Posts: 3014
[quote:sumnnh1u]If your sickness was pregnancy related your employer has to pay you for that [/quote:sumnnh1u] I was recently off work for 8 weeks with hyperemesis because of pregnancy and wasn't paid a cent for that even though I had certs. I wish I had read this earlier! Do you think I would have been entitled to payment? I just looked up employmentrights.ie and they say that sickness pay is not a statutory right. I'm so confused. I want it to be true!!
NemoFish Posts: 2501
I'm not sure if you are entitles - I htink it is up to the company whether you get paid for sick days. You are entitled to take days off if you are sick, but you will not nessicarily get paid for them.
susmurf Posts: 1060
If your employer doesnt pay you for time off sick, you can claim from the social welfare. It should be in your contract whether or not your employer pays you or not.
mariac Posts: 982
as far as im aware your employer does not have to pay you when your out sick pregnancy or not - you can claim from sw but you loose the first 3 days - what they give depends on what contributions you made previous years
bride. Posts: 3014
I would imagine that's right about claiming from social welfare instead all right.
jellybaby Posts: 2316
They're not obliged to pay you while off sick - it depends on the individual company policy. Either way though, they shouldn't have just taken your holidays. If they don't pay for sick leave, then they should have asked did you want to use holiday allowances to ensure you got paid, or did you want to be unpaid. As for the SW payment, I think you have to be off for a minimum no. of days (not sure what it is though) before they'll pay you. Hope you get it sorted...