Sick Leave/Pay before Maternity Leave

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrswed Posts: 141
Was meant to be finishing up work and starting maternity leave on the 30th of January. Had hospital appointment last week and they advised me to finish a week earlier so I'm finishing this Friday instead. Due on the 12th of February so have about 3 1/2 weeks to go. I told my boss this and have a docs appointment this week and will get a cert off him for next week which my boss is ok with. Am I entitled to sick pay for next week? My boss doesn't seem to think so & says i will be starting my leave next week. Is it too late to ring the maternity benefit office and tell them to put me down as starting a week earlier. Has anyone experienced this?
juicytube Posts: 38
i finished up work at 34 weeks due to infection. basically i got a sick cert from the social of my doctor and just told work i wouldn't be back. i then got a medical cert from the doc every week until i was due to start my maternity leave which was 31st dec. i get fully paid though from my employer for both sick leave and maternity leave so not sure if this has anything to do with it but no one has been in touch to say i did anything wrong. once you have a cert from your doc saying you cant work you are covered by the sick cert, just get that until the maternity leave starts hope this helps
MomToEmandJ Posts: 1977
you are entitled to be paid sick leave until you are due to start maternity leave. you have been advised on medical grounds to finish earlier. get a cert from your doc and send off form to social. hope this helps :o)ll