Sick leave while pregnant

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Winter B2B Posts: 3494
Just wondering if anyone knows what my right are in relation to taking sick leave while pregnant. I'm only 15 weeks pg and have already taken 17 days off sick (this is more sick days than the total sick leave i've taken since I started the job over 6 years ago). The problem is I'm sick again (seem to be catching everything) and worried about taking more time off. Can't find any law that protects my job due to pregnancy related illness, thought I had read it somewhere. Job isn't very stable as it is so don't want to rock the boat but really don't feel fit to go into work.
Nadie Posts: 1111
My understanding is that by law, you don't have to be paid for sick leave at all, same as you don't have to be paid for maternity leave. If the employer pays you, it's a bonus - and if they don't you can claim on PRSI. Can't imagine how you'd lose your job over it though, assuming you have doctor's notes. I hope you're feeling better soon.
Ivy F Posts: 2023
Could you ask for it in the form of unpaid leave? *)
Winter B2B Posts: 3494
After 7 days my employer doesn't pay sickleave. (Well it's depends on who you are, I don't work for the nicest employers in the world!) I'm more concerned that because I'm out so much they take it that I'm not fit to do my job and put me on the next redundancy list. They don't take too good to people taking much sick leave at the best of times. My question is more do with whether they have to treat my sick leave differently because i'm pg?