Silly Name Question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

jarashow Posts: 3083
So we have picked and girls name and have it down to 3 for boys. I am going to give examples of names here to give you an idea of what I trying to ask advice on. Say the boys name we like the most is Luke and the girl is Elisabeth, so the girl might be called Lilly..... does Luke and Lilly sound silly together? If we ever had a girl we would really want to use the name we have picked so we are trying to think of a boys name to go with it and I am worried that the shortened version (both will start with the same letter) would be a bit Bill and Ben sounding, as if they were twins or something. Someone agree with my hubbie please and tell me I am overanalysing (sp?) !!!
rushinbride Posts: 1097
yea I'm afraid I agree with hubbie!! you are over analysising... I've a son called Rian (pronounced Ryan) he goes to a Gael Scoil so its pronounced Reean in school... If we have a boy...we are calling him Cian, so that'll be pronounced Keean (in and out of school)...so in school they'll be reean and keean... :o0 and I don't really give a sh!t :o0 also the spellings rian and cian...we didn't plan it to be that way we just loved Rian at the time (the name like - we'll always love the child!!) and now we love Cian... don't ever worry about the name you choose for your child, f*ck people who throw their opinions at ya...
Rushin you're a star!!! No one has given an opinion, it's all in my own head.
maybbaby Posts: 24
Second the over ananysis. You are def over thinking but that is probably the hormones. Its amazing the things I am coming up with. Go with the names you love. Best of luck. (PS Do you know the sex?)
workingmom Posts: 3429
It's nowhere near as bad as someone having a Sam and wanting to call new baby Ella, imagine the christmas cards, I shit you not, I think you are right to put thought into names, they are one of the single most reasons for bullying in schools.
Thanks May. No we don't know, but am convinced it's a boy, I will be really shocked if it's a girl :o0
Sphynx Posts: 6795
It if is something like Luke and Lilly, I think that's really sweet. We have a Christopher and if we had a girl I'd quite like to pick a name starting with "C" also. But you do have to be careful - I know a brother and sister (not twins) called Jamie and Amy and they had an awful time at school!
[quote="Sphynx":116nayw9]It if is something like Luke and Lilly, I think that's really sweet. We have a Christopher and if we had a girl I'd quite like to pick a name starting with "C" also. But you do have to be careful - I know a brother and sister (not twins) called Jamie and Amy and they had an awful time at school![/quote:116nayw9] Can well imagine !! Thankfully the 2 names end in different sounds, so should be ok on that front.
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
Myself and my brother have names starting with D and we never had any trouble with it. My cousin has 3 girls and they are Ruth, Rebecca and Rachel. I wouldn't stress too much about it. Once you like the name you pick that's the important thing.