Silly question about cheese.....

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

just got a BFP Posts: 16
I heard something about pregnant women eating cheese & it's not supposed to be good for them. I had Mozarella in my wrap for lunch. Do you think this is ok to have? I'm paranoid!
Babystar Posts: 195
Don't worry - Mozeralla is fine. The cheese you should try to avoid are unpasturised cheeses (such as blue cheese, brie and goats cheese), as they can potentially lead to listeria which is bad for you and the baby. See the sticky at the top (new to P&B for more info), but basically: Cheeses which are SAFE to eat in pregnancy Hard cheeses: Austrian smoked, Babybel, Caerphilly, Cheddar, Cheshire, Derby, Double Gloucester, Edam, Emmental, English goat's cheddar, feta, Gouda, Gruyere, Halloumi, Havarti, Jarlsberg, Lancashire, Manchego, Orkney, paneer, Parmesan, Pecorino (hard), Provolone, Red Leicester. Soft and processed cheeses: Boursin, cottage cheese, cream cheese, feta, goat's cheese without a white rind, mascarpone, mozzarella, Philadelphia, processed cheese (such as cheese spread), Quark, ricotta. Yoghurts (all varieties), probiotic drinks, fromage frais, soured cream and crème fraîche - any variety, including natural, flavoured and biologically active - are all safe to eat. Cheeses to AVOID in pregnancy Mould-ripened soft cheeses: Brie, Blue Brie, Cambozola, Camembert, Chaumes, chèvre (goats cheese with a white rind), Pont L'Eveque, Taleggio, Vacherin-Fribourgeois Blue-veined cheeses: Bergader, Bleu d'Auvergne, Blue Wensleydale, Shropshire Blue, Danish Blue, Dolcelatte, Gorgonzola, Roncal, Roquefort, Stilton, tomme, Wensleydale (blue). Soft, unpasteurised cheese, including goat and sheep's cheeses: Chabichou, Pyramide, Torta del Cesar.
just got a BFP Posts: 16
Thanks for your help Babystar! i dont like any of that blue veiny stuff anyway :o0
Perci Posts: 3847
Can someone confirm whether parmesan is ok? I know it's on the 'safe' list there but parmesan is unpasteurised unless you buy the the dried stuff in the tubs. Is it just soft unpasteurised cheese to avod?
Martiespride Posts: 997
i eat cheese everyday and its fine. as long as its pasturised your fine, and most soft cheese is pasturised.
trying2009 Posts: 107
my midwife told me that once the 'unsafe' unpasteurised cheeses are cooked, they are fine
brookee Posts: 751
i've eaten breaded camembert since i've gotten preg and i don't worry if it's cooked through also i'm a goats chesse nut but i'd be iffy about cooking this one properly and anybody who loves it will prob love to hear that m&s have goats cheese slices made with pasturised milk yay!!
pattie Posts: 2379
I thought if a cheese was made with unpasturised milk it had to say so on the label? If it doesn't say anything I always assume it's pasturised. It's all a bit confusing I must say! What I've read anyway is that hard cheeses don't support the growth of listeria, whereas even pasturised brie could contain listeria so the main thing is to avoid brie, blue cheese, etc.
brookee Posts: 751
i noticed that the unpasturised stuff hasn't a thing written on the label but the pasturised does you'd think they would write it on the whole lot :o0
ellee Posts: 666
Yeah i love my cheese - usually the smellier the better *) Have to say I've eaten the blues and other unpastuerised cheeses from time to time with no ill effects. Felt I'd never got listeria before, why should I start getting it now? Don't eat it every day, maybe every month? And yes, mostly it does say on the pack whether it is pastuerised or not. Obviously, you'd have ask about behind the counter cheeses.