Simple Beef casserole dish - need receipe.

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

candypants Posts: 8575
Would love this for dinner today. Anyone got their simple receipe that they use?
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I posted this yesterday: 1kg diced stewing beef. 2 diced onions 2 tablespoons apricot jam 2 tablespoons cider vinegar 1 tablespoon curry powder (I use mild!) One tin chopped tomatoes 2 tablespoons tomato puree 300ml beef stock (Oxo cube etc is fine!) Salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 170c Fry off the beef and put in a casserole dish. Fry off the onions in the same pan (not too long) and add to beef. Add in the rest of the ingrediants and stir well. Put in oven and cook for 2 hours. Check and stir every half an hour or so. You can make it spicier if you like. Works well with rice and veggies, or garlic potatoes. If I have veg like carrots I usually chop a couple up and put them in too. Its really easy and if you don't want to make it spicey just leave out the curry powder or use a tiny bit for flavour.
Rogue User Posts: 6101
There is a gorgeous recipe in one of Jamie Oliver's books called mIghty meat stefado. I make it all the time - really really tasty.
candypants Posts: 8575
Perfect ACS !! Will go with that one cheers O-O I dont have any apricot jam though, anything else instead i could use? Would save me turfing 2 kids and me about to pop to the shops..........again! (yes i should have asked before going to shops) :o0 Do you serve with mash?
eefc Posts: 1201
Invest in a slow cooker! get a round steak and cube into pieces 3 large carrots chopped 2 large onions chopped 3 potatoes cut into chunky pieces 2 beef oxo cubes diluted in pint of water Erin savory mince throw all into slow cooker - make sure water covers veg- if not, add water. Make up erin savory mince in about 400 mils of cold water - add to slow cooker. Turn on slow cooker in the morning on low heat. 8-9 hours later- dinner is ready! Add a bit of bisto to thicken sauce if needed! My fav winter dinner!!
If you don't have the jam, you could use chutney or even some brown sugar (not too much!) in a pinch. I usually have it with brown rice but its nice with any spuds too.
Blossom Cherry Posts: 2701
Yum ACS - that sounds divine! Will have to try tha sometime. We would have a Lancashire Hotpot the odd time. It's a lovely dish to have in the winter as it's real yummy comfort food. Ingredients (serves 4-6): 900g strewing streak cut into chunks veg oil 75g of butter 14 shallots peeled and left whole 1 tbsp of flour 200 ml red wine 600 ml of beef stock 2 sprigs of fresh thyme 900g of potatos peeled & cut into thin slices Salt & pepper Method: 1. Seal the beef in the oil and butter (calorific, that's why we wouldn't have it that often) in a heavy based casserole dish. Remove from the dish once sealed and put aside. 2. Add the shallots and fry for 5 mins, stir in the flour and add the wine until a smooth blend is achieved 3. Pour in the stock, s&p and when simmering add the beef and thyme. 4. place the potato slices over the top and dot with a small bit of butter. 5. Place the lid on the dish and cook in the oven at 170 deg C for 1.5 h 6. Remove the lid, turn the oven up to 200 deg C and cook for another 30 mins to crisp up the spuds. YUM YUM
We got a slow cooker as a wedding present. I never would have even thought of getting one but they are fantastic, especially when we're both at work all day and can't face making a big dinner. Really makes the meat very tender too. I use ours a lot.
eefc Posts: 1201
[quote="Anne Cordelia Shirley":2sb0ymuq]We got a slow cooker as a wedding present. I never would have even thought of getting one but they are fantastic, especially when we're both at work all day and can't face making a big dinner. Really makes the meat very tender too. I use ours a lot.[/quote:2sb0ymuq] Same but we got it as a house warming present- obsessed with it! Bolognase is only divine from it- flavours really come out!
Blossom Cherry Posts: 2701
Girls - can I ask about the slow cooker. Do you put it on in the morning and leave it on while you are at work? We saw them on sale in Tescos a few weeks ago and were going to get one but I was a bit nervous at the thoughts of leaving on unattended for the day