Single parent

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Tir na nog Posts: 740
Just wondering what would you be entitled to per week if you are a single parent. A friend of mine just found out she's pregnant and is panicking about how she's going to manage financially. What would her entitlements be as she would only be getting the basic maternity pay as the place she works in does not pay maternity.
survivor Posts: 2507
If she's working, which she must be to get maternity pay, then you get a tax break for having a child. Its called a one parent family tax credit, €1650 per year. You also get increase in the standard rate cut off point from 32800 to 36800. She can work part time and get a social welfare payment, or give up work and get a payment too. If I were her I would try to work part time to keep the adult interaction. Rates for these are on the citizensinformation.ie website.
Tir na nog Posts: 740
Thanks i think she wants to continue working part-time i was just looking up citizens information and it seems like she can get OPF payment with half rate FIS. So hopefully she'll be ok financially the poor thing is just worried about how she'll manage. i was just trying to work out an amount peer week which would be coming in so she can budget.
Sadmummy Posts: 36
Hi I'm a single parent to a two year old (almost 3) and I worked 3 days a week when I went back to work after his birth and I got €107.80 One parent family allowance plus €20 FIS and also €20 fuel allowance. I'm now back to work full time, and I am losing these (obviously). Hope that helps. Sadmummy (not so sad these days :o0 )
ianstuart Posts: 1947
[quote="Sadmummy":1slk83qh]Hi I'm a single parent to a two year old (almost 3) and I worked 3 days a week when I went back to work after his birth and I got €107.80 One parent family allowance plus €20 FIS and also €20 fuel allowance. I'm now back to work full time, and I am losing these (obviously). Hope that helps. Sadmummy (not so sad these days :o0 )[/quote:1slk83qh] Glad to see your not so sad these days :thnk
Sadmummy Posts: 36
Thank you hun, the auld medication helps :o)ll Haven't been on here in ages, as had no internet, back to work full time, and I missed all yous WOL's, especially the ones so helpful to me, during my depression (sounds weird).