Single sex parenting v. The traditional family

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Delish Posts: 4176
What do you think, can same sex parents, parent as well as a mother and father? I like to think that it is possible but I'm not convinced. I know there have been tonnes of studies showing that children of lone parent families tend to lag behind children reared in the traditional family. I think it must be so so difficult for single parents to rear kids on their own, you really need the support of another adult to deal with the stress and intensity of rearing kids. I'm just wondering can gay couples rear kids as well as hetrosexual couples? Can kids get everything that they need socially, emotionally and physically from Gay parents?
nelly Posts: 1875
[quote="Delish":2lr74jc4]What do you think, can same sex parents, parent as well as a mother and father? I like to think that it is possible but I'm not convinced. [/quote:2lr74jc4] Adam and Eve people not Adam and Steve.... I'm joking ok! I would like to think so, primarily because I believe in the Family unit and in the ideal world the child should live with the people who created them. Most single parents are not single by complete choice - situations have been created (one night stands / divorce etc) - I wll i think anyway.
rubies Posts: 1375
Gay marriage, same sex families - down with that sort of thing!
Hins Posts: 940
[quote="rubies":34cy81q0]Gay marriage, same sex families - down with that sort of thing![/quote:34cy81q0] Are my eyes deceiving me??? Are you actually for real? WHAT "sort of thing".....and I'll state this question right now to ANYONE before I can see this turning into a 30 page mud bath Show me where there is CONCRETE evidence that only the male and female sex can offer a child something that two men can't or two women can't or a transgendered couple. Who says that ONLY a man and a woman can offer a healthy environment that a same sex couple can't. "down with that sort of thing".....what? some phase is it?? How utterly insulting to every same sex couple out there who are fighting tooth and nail to be seen as equal and prove that they can provide good homes for children. Oh sorry, I forgot why I don't miss WOL, for the sheer bigotry and ignorance displayed in some of the posts on here!!!! Absolutely disgraceful attitude.
fantac Posts: 4109
fight fight fight fight - come on shin - fight your corner girl and bring back some spice to WOL good q's delish - DH is about to serve up my dinner so i cant respond properly. but i do think a child is better off in a single parent environment than with parents who are together but unhappy
SingleNoMore Posts: 146
Talk about a post to get everyone up in arms!!!! I don't think it matters so long as the chile is loved and can express themselves and all that jazz. Wouldn't it be 10 times worse to be born into a "Traditional" family and have the parents killing each other the whole time? That would be far more damaging I'm sure.
But what is a "traditional" family when you think of it? 1960's black and white Brady Bunch-esque with Mom cooking the dinner, dad comes in from a hard day's work, blue eyed son and pretty little daughter and throw a cute kitten into the mix? Yes that might still exist but so do other types of families. It's no longer the 'majority' anymore. Families are made up of different types now, with women choosing to have children on their own, women having children on their own not by choice, same sex couples having children, men and women having children, men and women choosing not to get married and having children, Transgendered couples having children....I could go on but you get the drift. I have yet to see evidence as I said where it proves that men and women can offer something that two men can't. Is anyone an expert on Gender studies because I'd assume that even if they were there's no evidence that supports that. You can pull anything from the internet let's be fair
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
[quote="Hins":65m5s8hd]But what is a "traditional" family when you think of it? 1960's black and white Brady Bunch-esque with Mom cooking the dinner, dad comes in from a hard day's work, blue eyed son and pretty little daughter and throw a cute kitten into the mix? Yes that might still exist but so do other types of families. It's no longer the 'majority' anymore. [/quote:65m5s8hd] As far as I'm aware two-parent hetero families [i:65m5s8hd]are[/i:65m5s8hd] the majority in Ireland. I have no problems with same sex parents, but I think we've a long way to go before attitudes change. For example, most of the guys I work with are young, cool and funny .... and completely homophobic when challenged on their opinion.
milis Posts: 7998
I think there are so many social problems in Ireland, that even children coming from a 'traditional' family have very little chance of being emotionally stable!
[quote="Lois":1352h01i][quote="Hins":1352h01i]But what is a "traditional" family when you think of it? 1960's black and white Brady Bunch-esque with Mom cooking the dinner, dad comes in from a hard day's work, blue eyed son and pretty little daughter and throw a cute kitten into the mix? Yes that might still exist but so do other types of families. It's no longer the 'majority' anymore. [/quote:1352h01i] As far as I'm aware two-parent hetero families [i:1352h01i]are[/i:1352h01i] the majority in Ireland. I have no problems with same sex parents, but I think we've a long way to go before attitudes change. For example, most of the guys I work with are young, cool and funny .... and completely homophobic when challenged on their opinion.[/quote:1352h01i] You are right Lois. Yes the majority are the man-woman parent family but this will change. I even fail to see why there's debate or talks of actually bringing the law into effect so that same sex couples can adopt. As regards the young, cool, funny guys that you work with, I know a few of them myself. Lovely guys, until they come out with their commenst such as "i've no problem with gay men but.............."!!! Let's make it very clear, if there's a 'but' after that statement then they very much do have a problem with gay men. What is the big god damn deal? I fail to see it, so maybe someone could point me in the right direction. I would have assumed that people should be concerned with their own way of livnig and own lifestyle to be worrying about who is parenting who and in what form.