Sinus/earache

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

beaker Posts: 379
I'm just five weeks pregnant and already sinuses are acting up. Been awake the last two nights for hours with an earache which I presume is related in some way. Need sleep O:| Any suggestions? Can I use Olbas oil?
goodietwoshoes Posts: 167
I suffered horribly on 1st pregnancy from sinusitis and head colds. I'm 11 wks now and had a dose of sinusitis again a few weeks ago, drove me mad. Find out if there's a 'Salt Therapy' clinic near you. It worked wonders on me after 2 sessions.
Sassypants Posts: 4461
Yes, you can use Olbas Oil. I suffered the same between about 12 and 14 weeks. Nightmare and so so sore! Poor you. My boss said that nasal saline spray is very good for clearing your sinuses, she is allergic to tonnes of stuff so she's a good one for tips. Olbas Oil and Nasal spray - sexy. Congrats on your pregnancy by the way!
beaker Posts: 379
Ah thanks girls :) you'd think I'd know all this stuff having been down this road before. Must be baby brain already :-8 Checked with the doc too, he said Olbas oil fine to use. I'll get some of the saline spray too. He also said I can take paracetamol so thats a relief. Thanks for the replies :xox
PaniniRoses Posts: 3628
Sassypants, do you know the brand of nasal spray? We've a couple in the medicine box at home but neither is suitable for pregnancy. I'm really suffering (and feeling very sorry for myself :o( )for the last 3 weeks. I think I'm going to go to the gp if I'm not better after the weekend, feel like it might be turning into a throat/ear thing too.
pink or blue Posts: 359
you should try the Neilmed Sinus Rinse, its yucky to do but def helps, plus safe to use in pregnancy
Tulip32 Posts: 124
I've been really congested the last month or two (30 weeks now) to the point that DH has had to move to other room cos of my snoring and the fact that it's waking me up every 2-3 hours. I got the Vicks steamer thing and it's made a big difference to my breathing and comfort. €39 but supposed to be good for colds and flu so I guess it will be useful even after baby arrives. Other things that can work are a saline nasal rinse - just make up a salt solution and pour into one nostril while blocking the other and then let it drain. Then repeat on other side. Stings a little but once or twice did the trick for me when I had sinus and earache in the early days. Hope you feel better soon.
PaniniRoses Posts: 3628
[quote="pink or blue":3igvhhb5]you should try the Neilmed Sinus Rinse, its yucky to do but def helps, plus safe to use in pregnancy[/quote:3igvhhb5] I'm so dopey, I have one of these and never thought of it! Feeling a whole lot better after an early night last night, but will start rinsing too.
Winter B2B Posts: 3494
I suffer really bad with sinuisitis but thank god other one infection at start of this pregnancy it hasn't been too bad. Did you check with doctor if olbas oil was safe? My gp said it was fine but consultant said I couldn't use it, not even the tissues as it contains eucalyptus oil which can stimulate the baby. I found nose strips great with helping to breathe while sleeping. Also standing with face under a hot shower helped clear it.