Size 14 is fat!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrspants Posts: 4652
My sil said this to me tonight!!! i am a size 14-16 and 5foot five inches. I was talking to her about losing weight (joining gym tommorrow) and getting in shape. i gained over two stone in last three years and want it gone. hate having conversation about weight anyway cos she is tiny and smug about it. she mentioned to me about her cousin, and i commented that i thought she looked fantastic, as she has recently gone from an 18 to a 14 i would reckon. my sil then says well she is still kinda fat, she is wearing size 14s. nearly puked. i myself am overweight and do feel fat, but tbh i would still be a 14 with stone down, but i never really thought people saw size 14 as being fat. is it??
Sphynx Posts: 6795
No it's not. I read some survey that said that size 16 is actually the average size in this country, which would make size 14 slimmer than average.
rubies Posts: 1375
I don't think you can say all size 10's are slim and anyone over a 14 is fat. It's all to do with being in proportion. It depends on how you carry it. I will admit though that if I became a size 14 I would consider myself to be fat and I wouldn't appreciate it if people were lying to me saying I looked slim as I look dreadful carrying any excess weight. In saying this I was heavier for a good while and had to make a conscious effort to become a size 8 again and to maintain it. I find it hard to believe that the average dress size here is size 16 as only about 10% of my friends would be even close to this size. I think we should look at our BMI instead of our clothes size as it's a better guideline.
rubies, i find it hard to believe too, only one of my friends is a 16, most are a 12 or thereabouts and in work out of about 50 women i cannot think of anyone!! i feel fat, i look fat, and for the most part i am a 14. incidently my bmi is in overweight bracket, 27 or more. i am not trying to insult anyone here btw, i think size 14 is fat for me. my best friend is also a 14 but much much slimmer and for her it is ideal, but she is tall. so my conclusion at my average height size 14 is fat.
rubies Posts: 1375
Hotpants - fat's not exactly a great word you probably aren't 'fat' at all. I do think that it doesn't do people any good when their OH's tell them they're fine especially if they are classed as obese. My H2B als encourages me to keep fit and I do the same for him. There's only around 10% of all the women in our office that would be overweight and around a size 16 so I really do find it hard to believe too.
rubies, i am almost 2 stone overweight so fat is unfortunate but true!! and it is only tonight that i can face it and admit it. it doesn't actually upset me that much as i am joining gym and fully intend and believe i will lose weight. my h2b is forever telling me i am fine etc etc but facts are facts. the conversation tonight just reinforced in my head that i have changed a lot in last 2 years. i have a few hundred photos of my 21st and loads of other family occasions and only one of me the night i got engaged. oh well, my sil, although i do love her to bits, will be eating her words!! she is as i said smug size 6/8.
thebrideof2009 Posts: 1416
hi hot pants this time last year i was three stone lighter n just lost it by walking the roads n watchin wat i eat ive sinceput all weight back on but i know in four months time i will have lost it agin im starting tomorrow im very determined when i put my mind to something i did it before i can do again so hot pants new year new us O-O O-O O-O
forgot to say i was a loose ten n now im a fourteen i dont tink a fourteen is fat but im not happy at the mo but if i was happy wit myself i wouldnt be losing weight im doing it for me n thats what matters im getting married in oct so thats motivation at its best
forgot to say i was a loose ten n now im a fourteen i dont tink a fourteen is fat but im not happy at the mo but if i was happy wit myself i wouldnt be losing weight im doing it for me n thats what matters im getting married in oct so thats motivation at its best
wol-r-us Posts: 273
It's all relative. A size 6 person might think a size 14 is fat for them for example. Its a matter of opinion. I'm a size 14. I don't think I'm fat but I don't think I am thin.