Sky

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

zoesmama Posts: 2774
We are with Sky and have been for 10 years. Paying €91 a month and get all channels except Sports. Have HD + Box downstairs and Sky + Box upstairs. Anyway trying to reduce the monthly spend so decided over Christmas to get rid of the Movie Channels and paying for the 2nd room. Sky told me it will now cost €48 per month. Then yesterday evening a guy calls to the door from Sky and wearing a Sky Jacket and says he can get us what we want for €33 instead of €48. But we have to cancel the existing subscription and start again as a new customer in my DH's name. Has anyone done this or is the guy at the door a scam ?? I know it;s only €15 a month but we are making cut backs in 2012 and could put this money elsewhere.
bluepolkadots Posts: 1237
New contracts are usually based on household/address, not individuals so I think he may have the wrong end of the stick?!
Happily Ever After Posts: 547
Hi there, yip I've heard of people doing this. You have to close the account then re-open it with a different name and therefore you are a new customer which means you have access to their latest and greatest offers!
[quote="Happily Ever After":sutz8xms]Hi there, yip I've heard of people doing this. You have to close the account then re-open it with a different name and therefore you are a new customer which means you have access to their latest and greatest offers![/quote:sutz8xms] My DH and I have the same surname and obviously the same address - does this matter ?
hadtoleave Posts: 2522
Dollydo Posts: 759
I'd probably try it. If nothing else you'll be no worse off anyway than your new quote which is already significantly less than what you were paying to begin with. I called them only last week to say it was too expensive and I wanted to cancel, they said they had an offer at the moment for 25% off so I took that. So for any other sky users.. give them a call to get that discount! We hardly ever go out or have any luxuries anymore so sky is like our little treat these days, thats the only reason we are still with them.
rianna Posts: 770
Hiya we have the same package you described and I'm sure it's not as high as 91, it's definitely 80-something. We have everything bar Sports, sky+HD downstairs and Sky+ upstairs. Anyway we do that every year, swap it between my name and hubby's. When you ring to cancel it they'll offer you a cheaper offer for 3 or 6 months when they know you're not bluffing about cancelling it, so you could do that either!
Happily Ever After Posts: 547
[quote="zoesmama":1om9edvv][quote="Happily Ever After":1om9edvv]Hi there, yip I've heard of people doing this. You have to close the account then re-open it with a different name and therefore you are a new customer which means you have access to their latest and greatest offers![/quote:1om9edvv] My DH and I have the same surname and obviously the same address - does this matter ?[/quote:1om9edvv] I think so long as you change the name from his to yours you should be okay unless you pay from a joint bank account? It's worth a shot they play customers all the time... I'm just looking at what other people have and although they are paying more than me they seem to be getting better value! I have a Sky HD + box with Sports and entertainment and it is cosing me €76 per month. Does that sound about right to anybody?
[quote="Happily Ever After":t5y0no0m][quote="zoesmama":t5y0no0m][quote="Happily Ever After":t5y0no0m]Hi there, yip I've heard of people doing this. You have to close the account then re-open it with a different name and therefore you are a new customer which means you have access to their latest and greatest offers![/quote:t5y0no0m] My DH and I have the same surname and obviously the same address - does this matter ?[/quote:t5y0no0m] I think so long as you change the name from his to yours you should be okay unless you pay from a joint bank account? It's worth a shot they play customers all the time...[/quote:t5y0no0m] yes we do pay from a joint bank account.
hadtoleave Posts: 2522
[quote="Happily Ever After":22nxvuft] I'm just looking at what other people have and although they are paying more than me they seem to be getting better value! I have a Sky HD + box with Sports and entertainment and it is cosing me €76 per month. Does that sound about right to anybody?[/quote:22nxvuft] I am paying €59 for sky sports with one telly but no HD so wonder is HD that expensive - €17 per month? Is it worth it?