Skype help????

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lovebug997 Posts: 4034
I'm totally new to this whole skype thing! I downloaded it a few weeks ago so that a relative in the US could call me. Now my mam has just got broadband and we were trying to skype this evening. She could see and hear me but I couldn't see or hear her. Anyone any idea why? Had no problems when the other relative but he called me. We tried it both ways with her calling me and me calling her and it didn't work either way. Anyone any idea what I might be doing wrong?
Salander Posts: 1639
Did you turn your webcam on? mine is integrated in the laptop but I need to turn it on each time to use it. If you go into Tools, Options and then down to video settings it will help you set up.
mrs shamrock Posts: 603
Hi this happened me too but the other way around, my sister went to Oz few months ago and got it before she went, when we tried it we could see and hear her but she couldnt see or hear us, so i went out and bought a microphone and webcam for my lap top. Unfortunately with the time difference and her travelling around we havent tried it since.
JMBvideos Posts: 511
Hi Bride-2b, The problem is almost certainally on your mams end. As regards not being able to see her, the first thing to establish as simple as it seems is to make sure that she does have a webcam and it is turned on. If it is a laptop, it is likely that there is one built in but this is not always the case. If there is one there, then make sure that it is turned on like nyota said. I would try to sort out the problem of not being able to hear her first though. One of the contacts in your skype when it is installed is the "Skype echo/sound test service". Get her to call that and it will test to see if her mic is working OK and if it is not, it will guide her step by step through the process of configuring the mic setings. If it is a desktop that she is using and not a laptop, there will be no built-in mic so she will need to buy a headset or similar before she can use skype. This is one of those things that should be fairly easy to sort out but is far easier to expalin in words than in writing so If your mother wants to give me a buzz on 086 3790448 when she is at her computer, she is welcome to do so and I would be happy to talk her through it.
lovebug997 Posts: 4034
Thanks for all your help! I got her to uninstall it and reinstall skype last night and then she brought her laptop here today and we managed to figure it out! She didn't have the camera turned on! The sound is working now as well! I think the first time she installed it she pressed save instead of run so it may not have installed properly! Either way she's delighed with herself now and spent all afternoon on it! Anyone would think she invented it the way she was going on! Will be brilliant for her though cos she only gets to see dd once a week so now she'll be able to see her all the time! Thanks again!