Sleep Apnea

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

SaJa Posts: 4282
Does anyone suffer from this? Went to see my doc last Friday and he thinks I have it. He's going to send me to a sleep clinic and I also have to get my tonsils and adnoids (sp? :-8 ) removed. Having read a bit about it over the last few days I definitely think I have most of the symptoms and kinda always thought I had it (self diagnosis is great :o0 ). Anyone got any advice or info for me. P.S. Had an op March 2 years ago for a deviated septum (middle part inside nose) which was to improve my breathing but doesn't seem to have worked. DH thinks I sound like Darth Vedar when I'm asleep :o0
groovee Posts: 529
Hi SaJa, My fiancee suffers from a mild form of this ( I think it can get worse with age). He went to a sleep clinic last year and they diagnosed it. He also snored ( drove me craaaazzzzyy). He breathes through his mouth so they recommended a dentist mouthguard. It's just for bed and i pushed his lower jaw forward a couple of millimeters. He finds it very comfy, has no problem sleeping and since he got it neither do I!!
Thanks for the reply groovee, at least the remedy might be as simple as a mouthguard rather than surgery.
willful Posts: 6822
Think Mr.W has this too, he often wakes up with a big gasp of air, possibly 2-3 times before I fall off to sleep so God knows how often during the whole night. He doesn't really 'wake up' fully, I dunno, it's difficult to describe but he's always really tired because of it. He also get sleep paralysis and I have to wake him up from it about twice a week-poor thing :o( Getting your tonsils and adenoids out sounds like it would help it alright, I had my tonsils done when I was 16-it's not that bad at all SaJa!
silver bullet Posts: 176
Hi my father in law suffers from this. He got a machine he puts on like an air mask over his face at night and it helps him. But I'd say his is a bit more severe. It seems to be working for him anyway he has more energy and feels like he can get a full night sleep now along with anyone else that stays in the house as his snoring used to be something unreal
Thanks Willful and Silver Bullet, I sometimes wake gasping for air and I can't remember the last time I had a full nights sleep without waking a few times a night. Got my appointment to see the consultant on the 28th of February so I'll just have to wait and see what he says. Thanks again for the replies. :wv