Menu

Sleeping arrangement for outdoor cat

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Pheebs Posts: 1102
DH has finally agreed we can get a cat but is insisting it is outdoor only and I'm trying to figure out where it could sleep, have a safe, warm space outside. We have a shed just being built so no roof on it yet. Has anyone experience of cat huts? Would a cat like/use that?
Girl From Mars Posts: 1446
I hate to break it to you but for your cat to know where it lives it'll need to be inside only for at least 3-4 weeks. If you let it out as soon as you get it, it'll just run away.
Fruice Posts: 677
[quote="Girl From Mars":2ski6ons]I hate to break it to you but for your cat to know where it lives it'll need to be inside only for at least 3-4 weeks. If you let it out as soon as you get it, it'll just run away.[/quote:2ski6ons] Yep. Even if cats are outdoors all day (once they're settled and know it's home) I really think they should have a safe warm house to come into and sleep, even if their bed is in the utility room etc. Or if your shed is fine and warm and has a cat flap that's perfect once they're settled and a bit older and more used to the place, but at the start you have to keep them inside for at least 3 weeks.
lorraine78 Posts: 988
A kitten adopted us last year and we tried to take him in and get on with our 6 year old female cat,but she hated him so we had no choice but to let him sleep outside.We got him a lovely plastic house with a basket and loads of blankets and toys in it,he always sleeps in it.We did take him in when the weather got cold though. Cats are very clean to have around the house,bar when they shed their winter fluff.If i was getting a cat and had no other cats,i'd definitely opt to keep it indoors as they're no trouble at all.
Caille Posts: 95
OP,
rooroo02 Posts: 66
Hi Ladies As a cat lover I have to agree with the above posts. My husband got me a kitten last May after our little cat had to be put to sleep following being hit by a car. Our new kitten was only 5 weeks when we got her so kept her inside for about a month and then started bringing her outside in evenings for a run around but kept her supervised for the first while. Over a year later I leave couple of small windows open during day when we're out so she has a bit of freedom but she always sleeps inside at night. Cats make fantastic pets. My family are avid supporters of SPCA and I've grown up with a constant influx of stray dogs while they were in foster care with us. I always thought I was a dog person but now I have to say I prefer cats. Most importantly though please make sure you get the cat neutered at 6 months. Doesn't cost much and it saves a lot of bother in future. Good luck with your new pet x
John Walsh Guitar