Sleeping Badly

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

babyboom Posts: 294
Hi All Just looking for a bit of advice. As you can see I'm in my 15th week of pregnancy & have been sleeping very badly since day 1. At this stage it's getting very tiring. I have no problem sleeping at night but wake extremely early in the mornings. In the beginning it was around 6 but it's been getting earlier lately - 4.30am. I cannot get back to sleep despite being exhausted. Is there anything I can do to help this or is that just a silly question. :-8 I know it's a small complaint as I'm not sick or anything but just looking for other peoples opinions I was hoping it would pass but at this stage I'm starting to doubt that it will. :thnk
Elliecat Posts: 2725
Babyboom, god love you, you must be absolutely knackered. I've only had trouble sleeping for the last week or so and I'm exhausted so I can only imagine what you must be feeling like. Is your room dark enough? I find if I wake up after 4 or 5 when its beginning to get bright, its really difficult to get back over, so I'm going to invest in some seriously heavy curtains with blackout lining this weekend. Also, I went to bed early last night hoping to get a good nights sleep, but I didn't get over till almost 1am, so I think I'm going to stay up a bit later in the hopes of falling asleep as soon as I go to bed - I think tossing and turning makes you more tired.
Hi Elliecat Thanks for the reply i bought new curtains for the bedroom not too long ago but that doesn't seem to do the trick going to get them relined with heavier lining. I have tried lavendar drops on my pillow but nothing seems to work. I'm starting to think this is just how I'm going to be. It's hard to get out of bed when I have to IYKWIM but I think I'm becoming used to it now. I did mention it to my GP at my last visit but he says not to worry once I'm getting 6 hours it's loads :ooh Not for me I could sleep around the clock. Going to ask my consultant next week if I could take iron to give me some energy as I have none. Don't want to spend my 9 months like a wreck I seem to yawn constantly. Thanks again for the reply. :thnk Hope you are keeping well & that your sleeping improves.
newyearbabs Posts: 686
Hi Babyboom I was the same up until a few weeks ago. (now 17wks). I was really frustrated and of course wrecked. I read in one of the books I have some breathing exercise to do which really helped me clear my mind and drift off. Bascially you concentrate on your breathing, breath in and hold for 5 seconds and breath out again. It sounds really too easy but it did work for me HTH
Desert-Moon Posts: 1174
Hiya, I'm in the very same position. It takes me at least 2 hours to fall asleep, and then I wake up at 6am. That was earlier on. I put it down to the good weather and very bright sunny mornings (sun rises into our bedroom). but now I am so big that I just cannot get comfortable, so its like 4.30 when I fall asleep, and up again at 7am! I'm exhausted!. try a bath before bedtime. I have no other solutions I'm afraid!
newyearbabs & desert-moon Thanks for the replies. I'm exhausted today yet another sleepless night it's killing me at this stage I'm so tired. I will have a look for the breathing exercises in my books & also try the bath at this stage anything is worth a try. To top it off I'm so irritable due to the tiredness feel like I could snap at anyone for no reason :-8
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
Babyboom, instead of getting your curtains relined, you can buy blackout roller blinds to go behind your curtains and they are not that expensive. Maybe try getting up at 4.30 or so when you wake, go downstairs and have some warm milk and biscuit or banana and then go back up to bed 20 mins later. This was advice given in a book i read about imsomnia. The worst thing you can do is lie there getting frustrated. Bananas contain some mineral (potassium i think) thats makes you sleepy, but avoid if you suffer from constipation as they make it worse. You must be so tired and worn out from this, im into 16th week and thank God havent had any trouble sleeping, i do wake regularly but i fall back asleep quickly.
hi NLTG Was actually thinking of getting up this morning when I work - thing is I'm so tired I'm not fit to get out of bed. I think you're right about not lying there as it doesn't help. So might try that hope it doesn't continue much longer as I'm just exhausted today feel like going home from work to try get some sleep I can't function. Feel bad for complaining as I haven't been overly sick with my pregnancy so in comparison to others it is a small complaint :thnk
Spice Bride Posts: 558
I started yoga last night and some of the 'moves' were very relaxing. Also focussed on breathing. I've found that when I can't sleep if I do deep breaths and hold them that it can help.
hi spice bride thanks for the suggestion I'm going to have a look for pregnancy yoga dvd I had to leave work yesterday through sheer exhaustion I just couldn't cope any longer. Was in tears spent all afternoon in bed got an hours sleep but feel all the better today for getting some rest. :thnk