Sleeping on your Lef-Hand Side

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kittysue Posts: 1016
Does anyone else find it uncomfortable sleeping on their left side? It's fine on the right but for some reason, when I ly on my left it feels...weird...I don't know if sore or painful is the correct word.... just feels achy or something... Or am I just going Mad Ted???
nea dude Posts: 749
try a soft pillow to support you, it takes time to get used to. Also a pillow between your legs/knees helps balance your body.
Barbalou Posts: 1617
I'm the same I find the right more comfortable even though before I got PG I would have naturally slept on my left
rushinbride Posts: 1097
I'd suggest a pillow to support your bump too! I know what you mean tho...my bump used to fall to the side and it kinda hurt or stretched or something but i got a wedge pillow for under it and it worked a treat...only problem was when i would turn to my opposite side then, i'd have to wake to bring the pillow with me...at the moment i've 5 pillows take over 3/4 of our king size bed and its like a wall between DH and I
kittysue Posts: 1016
Yea but I wouldn't really say that I have a bump though ..I'm going into my 18th week.....I suppose I'm starting to get a small little bump...but nothing that will weigh me over......Is it because the Baby is kind of on that side. I just noticed this when I heard the heartbeat....the doc found it over on my left hand side and more or less the same for the scan....... So maybe it is just stretching cos the weight is on that side...!!!
rushinbride Posts: 1097
you might not have a bump as such, but your uterus probably slides down to that side...if babs is kinda lying on the left anyway its probably weighing your uterus down to the left a bit more...I'd still put a pillow or something under it just to support your uterus and babs...and possibly get a better nights sleep!!
Moet for me Posts: 1841
I can't do this I toss and turn left to right and on my back across the night and I just go with it. I got desparate back pain from trying to lie on my left side last time that I just don't worry about it this time around.
Hokey Cokey Posts: 4816
I have a Dream Genii pillow and I find it great for keeping me lying on my side. I try to stay on my left but some nights I sleep on my right. It gives great support under your bump (whatever size it is - I've been using the pillow since about week 15). I read in one of my books that while the left side is ideal, sleeping on your right is far better than on your back or front, so I wouldnt worry about it too much.
nea dude Posts: 749
rushinbride, i'm the same as you, our bed is taken over with pillows, :o0 :o0 obviously we'll toss and turn. I have to say I miss snuggling with to DH though, can't reach him with so many things on the bed. :o( I also became afraid that DH would move hand/knee in a sudden jerk while sleeping and hit my bump, so pillows are used as safety as well as comfort.
Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
It is hard alright. I used to sleep on my back or my right side and am now trying to sleep on my left. Some mornings I wake up with a really sore ear so I think it's being squashed cos I'm not used to sleeping on that side! I presume that when you sleep on your side and part of the bump is under you that it doesnt get squashed? You're told to sleep on your side rather than on back or front so can't see what you can do about it!