Sleeping

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
When should you start sleeping on your left hand side. Remember reading somewhere this is the way you should sleep? I don't find it comfortable and find my right hand side better. Is it to early for me to be thinking about this?
Heavenleigh Posts: 1406
Hi LMS, i read that somewhere, too. You should avoid sleeping on your back once the baby/bump gets bigger, because it can cut off the oxygen. And I also read that the left side is the best, but I either fall asleep on my right or left side at night, because you will turn to your other side without knowing during sleep anyway, and I don´t think it´s a big problem at all *)
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
Just found this on Babycenter Question: What's the best sleep position during pregnancy? Answer: Although there's no real harm in sleeping on your right side, lying on your left side is actually good for you and your baby: It improves the flow of blood and nutrients to the placenta and it helps your kidneys efficiently eliminate waste products and fluids from your body. That, in turn, reduces swelling in your ankles, feet, and hands. If you train yourself to sleep on your left side early on, you'll have an easier time falling asleep when your belly is bulging later. During the second half of pregnancy, avoid sleeping on your back, a position that puts the full weight of your uterus on your spine, back muscles, intestines, and the inferior vena cava (the vein that transports blood from your lower body to the heart). Back-sleeping can also put you at risk for backaches and hemorrhoids, inefficient digestion, and impaired breathing and circulation. Lying on your back in the second and third trimester can also cause changes in blood pressure. For some women, it can cause a drop in blood pressure that can make them feel dizzy; for others, it can cause an unwanted increase in blood pressure.
Sphynx Posts: 6795
LMS the main thing is to try to avoid sleeping on your belly (you probably can't anyway) or on your back - I know loads of people do and it's v. unlikely to cause any problems but my consultant reminded me again last week that I shouldn't be on my back at night. I'd just try to fall asleep on my left but don't worry if you wake up on your right (or even on your back!) as you can't really control your movements when you're asleep. Just getting some sleep at all is great at your stage because believe me you will get way less once you get to the third trimester!
littledolly Posts: 393
At my ante-natal classes we were told that getting sleep is the most important thing, and if you are more comfortable on your back, then go with that. Apparently, it will cause you pain and discomfort long before it will do any harm to the baby. I still sleep either on my back or side - depending on which is more comfortable at the time.
Lady Di Posts: 2487
I asked my consultant and he said to me 'listen your uncomfortable enough as it is when you're pregnant, you sleep in what ever position you find most comfortable'! It actually doesn't make sense really that your sleeping position would have any bearing on your baby, as you've no control what position you get into in your sleep!!