Slieve Russell

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Penny_Bride2Be Posts: 254
Hi Girls, just wondering if any of you Slieve Russell brides have recommendations for hair or make up in the area? Not sure if anyone has tried the hotel's own spa area, or Ballyconnell or even Cavan town. Would appreciate any feedback or advice Thanks!
Redser Posts: 14
Hi All, I am hoping to get married next June in the Slieve Russell. I have arranged to go down and meet the wedding co-ordinator next week. We are both from Dublin, so I was wondering what most people were doing with regard to the Church? Are you getting married in your own Church and then travelling to the hotel, or is anyone getting married in a local Church near to the Hotel. If you are getting married in a Cavan Church, is it difficult to get the Church if you are not from the area? Do you need permission from your local Priest? Is there anything you think we need to ask when get down to the Hotel.. we are looking at the deal for 120 people all Inclusive.
Hi Redser, congrats! I have to say, so far, I have nothing but good things to say about the Slieve Russell so hopefully you will have a similar experience. We are getting married in St Aidan's Butlersbridge, which is about 20 mins drive away from the hotel but there are a few other churches around as well. There's one in Ballyconnell (pretty big, modern design), and one near Belturbet (but I didn't go inside that one so can't comment) I would think it's a bit too long from Dublin to have the mass there, unless you have a particular connection to a church there that makes it worth it Penny
Sorry also meant to say that St Aidan's will only let you marry there if you have your own priest, and it's a €500 fee if you aren't from the parish If you are thinking of anywhere up there, just check to see if you need to find your own priest
Hi Penny, Congrats to you too.. Its all so daunting.. dont know where to start.. Thanks for that info, at least it gives me a few ideas of where to look... Looks like i will need to find myself a Priest haha.. Redser
Starbar2010 Posts: 1261
The Slieve Russell is in Ballyconnell so perhaps you could try the church there. Can't remember the name of it. Also Cavan town is half an hour away and it has at least the Cathederal there if not a smaller church also
Thanks Starbar, I am going to start doing some proper research today.. Think we are the only people in Ireland who dont have a Priest in the family... Thanks again.
Sorry all, one more question. In relation to booking a church in Cavan. ONce you had your own Priest, did you just contact the relevant Church yourself? or did you call down there and arrange to meet the Parish Priest. Sorry, just havnt a clue how to go about this. Also, does anyone know if Church weddings can be held on a Sunday ??
Starbar2010 Posts: 1261
We went to mass there and met with the priest that way. We had a chat said we woud like to get married there and then he put us down provisionally (have to go back at the end of the year to confirm it) Told him we were bringing our own priests, don't think they would have supplied them anyway from the way he was talkiing.
We just called the local priest (live in Dublin so it was just too far). He checked the date for us and then very helpfully spent about 5 mins talking us through exactly what we needed to do etc.