slight mix up....

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lolly77 Posts: 851
where do i start.... but to cut a long story we both agreed that we would like the preist from my home parish and where we are getting married and the preist from my H2B parish and where we both will be living after to say the mass for the wedding. but I took it that my preist would do the offical marrying us thing and H2B took it that his preist would be doing it... now we have 2 preist thinking they are doing it... I need to ring them both now and see what to do. not looking forward to doing that. I dont mind who does it, but my mother is little put out with it. can anyone tell me what the rules are if your having 2 preist's.. what say the main one has to do and what the second one can/cant do.. Has this happened to anyone else??? hope im not the only fool.... :-8
pippy-long-stockings Posts: 248
Im not entirely certain but my understanding would be that the priest who's parish ie church, you're getting married in should be the priest who afficiates the wedding. Your husbands priest is the secondary priest.
oddwire Posts: 842
Could you ring the two priests and act dumb about it, asking how they are going to split the ceremony and see what they suggest? They may have ideas for dividing the task between them?
NemoFish Posts: 2501
It will be up to you who does it. They will con celebrate the mass, but I'm sure its up to you who actually marries you. My uncle is marrying us, but both our parish priests will be invited to concelebrate. We are getting married in my parish church
DutchBrideandSwedishGroom Posts: 99
[quote="oddwire":r3vq85mm]Could you ring the two priests and act dumb about it, asking how they are going to split the ceremony and see what they suggest? They may have ideas for dividing the task between them?[/quote:r3vq85mm] I would probably go for this as well :-8 That means if you do not have a preference, because otherwise be honest. It about what feels right.
chucklebells Posts: 350
When I met my parish priest, who is the main celebrant, about the wedding and mentioned to him that there would be another priest he told me to make sure that the other priest knows that he is a co-celebrant only because he told me that he has found himself in embaressing situations before on the morning of the wedding being with another priest and neither of them knowing who the couple wanted as the main celebrant. I would advise you to ring or meet the co celebrant and drop the hint in order to avoid this type of situation. I don't think the role can be 'split' because only one can give the sermon.
lolly77 Posts: 851
thank you will be ringng them the next few days, 2 people doing the one job...... alwayss leave one to do it....