Sligo general

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

pixiebell Posts: 739
Hi girls, Just wondering if anyone is or has attended Sligo general? I was just wonder if they allow visitors in or are they strict? Also if u are hoping to have an elective section do they take u in early? I'm under dr langan. Thanks ;)
MsWhite Posts: 94
Hi there, I have a few sisters & friends that have had babies in SGH and I don't think there's any restriction on visitors coming in to see you. They are very strict about the 12 noon - 3pm rest period though (not sure if fathers can even stay for this??). No kids are allowed in, only your own kids (if you have any) and they have to be supervised as far as I know. I don't think that's a bad idea though! My sister has had three sections, the second two were planned two weeks before her due date as far as I can remember. She was under Dr. Langan for all three of her babies & had high blood pressure but no other complications. Can you choose to have a section in SGH?? Are you private or public? I'm with Dr. Langan too.
Don't think u can choose but given previous history with my last child we are discussing it at the next appointment! I'm hoping for one cos I know I'll prob end up with an emergency one again. And with everything else it took a good couple of months to recover. That's good about the visiting! I'm going public. Are u private or public? Heather seems really nice
barneyrubble Posts: 252
Mrs White is spot on , they're fairly strict between 12&3 rest period but there's usually no restrictions unless a vomiting bug or something is around. Im attending but not under Dr Langan...have only heard good reports about her As for taking you in early for section it's prob something they'll review closer the end?
Thanks for the replies girls, first time attending sligo general and it's nice to get a bit of feed back ;)
yeah Posts: 109
Pixibelle can you let me know how you get on with asking for a planned section with dr Langan. I attended her on ds and again this time both public. She is very good but doesn't encourage sections at all. I had an emergency section on ds and would love a planned section this time I don't want to go through that again ( before section). I'm not due to see her for a few weeks but I'm all ready having crazy dreams where she says no. I do think she will take your previous history in to account and as far as I know she can't completely refuse but will encourage a natural delivery. I think she takes you in at 39 weeks for a planned but it might depend on each case. Re visiting everyone dads and all are asked to leave between 12-3. It gives you a chance to get a break.
Hi yeah, I still have 12 weeks to go but it's playing majorly on my mind majorly. I'll think I'll just have to be prepared to go naturally and see what happens..but I'll let u know if I do find out anything! It's horrible just not knowing especially when u have a really really strong feeling that it will end up in an another ec situation
yeah Posts: 109
I'd put a strong case across for planned section. She will take it in board but she'll still encourage a natural. I've a long way to go yet but I'm already thinking of how um going to say it. I hope it all goes well for you.
Thanks yeah, I did see the reg the last time and got the speech about natural birth which I know is better but not always the case and he did say after I explained everything that if it was my wish to have a section they would book me in, I just hope it's the same response and they don't change their minds..good luck with ur pregnancy too ;)
MsWhite Posts: 94
Hi pixiebell, I'm going private with Dr. Langan. I was a nervous wreck when I first found out about being pregnant because I've never been in hospital or had any experience of being 'ill' so I thought for the security of seeing the same person all the way through it would be worth the fees. I'm not sure if I've felt the benefit of it yet though tbh. I think when D-Day comes, she will be informed that I'm in labor but she won't actually be there for the birth unless something goes wrong - I'll be looked after by the midwifes. I could have that wrong but that's how I picked it up. We have our 20 week scan coming up soon & I nearly fell over when I heard I had to pay €160 (in cash!) for that on top of the €2750 for the consultant fees. My VHI will cover none of it all. My sister's blood pressure was flaring a few weeks before her due date and there was no question about setting a date for the sections in advance with her two. The first was an emergency. I'm sure once you explain the situation, she'll arrange it for you. Here's hoping!