Sligo general - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

pixiebell Posts: 739
Hi ms White, I know what u mean about being nervous, it's a scary time. Hopefully going private will be worth it for ya. Don't forget to claim some of it back with ur med1 form. I have private health insurance but the cost on top of it just was feasible for us. At the last birth I had the midwives with me all day then when the concerns started there was at least 10-12 doctors, midwives and a consultant in the room to decide weather to section or not. They were all brilliant and my own consultant wasn't present ( he was on hols).
yeah Posts: 109
I think it's not being in control that makes things so scary. Well that's the case with me. Pixibelle I think we might be ok if we tell her exactly how we feel ( I hope so anyway) by the sound of it we had similar experience. I have no intention of going naturally. We could be surprised and have a delivery we want. When things went wrong with me thankfully dr Langan was on call and was with me for hours I couldn't have asked for better that night. My friend was private with her the same time as me and the only difference was she went to a private clinic but she was happy with that as she knew dr Langan would be there anytime.
MsWhite Posts: 94
It really is a fear of the unknown - I'm trying not to read or look at too many things to do with labour just yet. I was freaking myself out at the beginning in a big way. Now, I'm starting to relax about it a bit. I said to DH the other day 'it'll be a breeze - I'll be grand!' - he looked at me like I was nuts and lying through my teeth (which I was) but a lot of it has to do with your mental state I think. The staff in SGH are supposed to be amazing and very competent so that's great reassurance. Can I ask if either of you done up a birth plan, did ye write anything down on paper or say anything verbally? I think I'll go with the flow as far as pain relief etc is concerned but I'm adamant that only the necessary / minimum amount of people, i.e. DH and a midwife (all going well) should be in the room with me. No student nurses or student midwives. I feel I should write this down and make sure hubby knows how strongly I feel about this, which I think he does. Is it silly that I'm so so so so so paranoid about having males nurses / docs in the room with me?? Maybe I'm just being daft, but I've always avoided having any male docs between having CIN / colposcopy appointments and smears and would like to keep it that way. I just don't feel comfortable with the idea. :-8 Dr. Langan said if she's not around on the day, she'll have someone covering her but I think I'll feel pretty hard done by after paying so much if it's a male. :weep
Fingers crossed yeah ;) Ms white, I'd no birth plan but went in with an open mind! Wasn't towo keen on petadine (sp) and ended up gett 2 shots of it and edpidural! If u feel strongly about something I'd write it down or say it urself, I sort of feel like they didn't listen to dh, I kept saying he knows what I want but they wanted to hear me saying it! In relation to male doctors, u will take any doctor just to get the baby out :), don't stress about that. It's their job and they dont pass any remarks on anything and sometimes they are friendlier than the females..keep an open mind on everything and try not to rule anything out just incase;)
barneyrubble Posts: 252
I'd put yer case forward as strongly as you feel and see what they say. Think all docs will encourage a natural birth anyway. I've always attended the midwives clinics so rarely seen a doc and always found them great. Ms white...def do up a birth plan if there's anything you feel strongly about and discuss it at your later appts before labour. They keep people to a minimum in delivery suites anyway. You can only have 1person with you. They will ask before letting a student midwife on so you can refuse if you want...I had one in on my first. I had intervention on my first so felt like there was 20 people in the room at one stage but I honestly didn't care! On 2nd there was just 2 midwives and registrar called to stitch me up. He was Male but again at that stage it could have been anyone and I'd have paid no heed...You just want whatever needs doing done! hth
MsWhite Posts: 94
Thanks for your advice. I'm sure I won't give two hoots when it gets to that stage who's there but it's something I'd like to have a say in if I could. Both myself & DH wouldn't be the most outspoken of people so something on paper might not be such a bad idea. I nearly wish the whole thing was tomorrow just to get it over with!!!! However, babs has a bit more cooking to do before s/he's ready to make an appearance! :stork: I'm sure I'll be grand. So thankful to have a supportive hubby, who tells me he'll be fine with all the gorey bits. We'll see...!
I went with an open mind. I'd take anything I needed. I just wanted in and out as quick as possible. It didn't work that way. I was well over due and taken in for induction 4 gels and 4 days later I was still there and ds still in there with no intention of coming out. I'd have let any one, man, woman, monkey check to see what was going on. Things went crazy and I can honestly say there was 15 people in the room with me on my back and everything on show. I didn't give a dam. There was even people there that I knew ( through my work, long story) but they all had a job to do. At the time you really don't mind. If there is something you really want/ don't want I'd tell them. the nurses and midwives are fantastic and can make things as comfortable as they can for you.
Hi girls, Just thought I'd let u know I asked dr langan about the birth options and she said they don't discuss it until the 37th week appoint! So I've another while to wait. Not going to think about it until then.
Thanks for letting us know pixibelle. I think she'll take your concerns on board. Your right try not think about it until nearer the time.
Hi girls, Just giving ye a quick update! I got a date for an elective section. I just explained all o Heather and she was great. I've another couple of weeks to go but I'm booked in. They normally do the section at 39 weeks. Hope ye are all well ;) P