Small second baby - reassurance needed!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Weddingloon Posts: 445
Hey ladies, I'm 37 weeks pregnant and doc told me at scan today that baby is measuring small at about 2.5 kgs (5ibs 8 ish). She said all was ok with baby otherwise but has me in again next week to check on growth. Anyone find anything similar. My son was 8ibs 1.5 so I just assumed I guess that this baby would be up there too. Can't help but worry. :duh:
MirandaMay Posts: 25
Hi Weddingloon that doesnt sound particularly small for 37 weeks. Presumably you have another 3 weeks for baby to catch up on his/her brother. I am big boned so was expecting I would have huge babies. Not a bit of it, first was 7lb and next was 7lb 2 when delivered at full term.
Weddingloon Posts: 445
Thanks so much, I would've thought the same, it was only how she was going on about it that made me panic a bit I think and I'm not usually the panicky type!!! I don't mind at all him/her being smaller once all's ok. The brain can get carried away!!!! Thanks again for the response though, feel better already!! :wv
vonnyoc Posts: 2688
I'm Being monitored for the same I'm 32 weeks and baby is 2 weeks behind. It's very worrying even though everything else is fine with baby. All you can do is wait and see how you get on week by week and the Gynae will determine what happens if things change. I hope everything goes ok for you
kala Posts: 1937
i'm being monitored too purely because both ds's were apparently small- ds1 was a week early weighing 6lbs 2 oz, ds2 was 3 weeks early and was 5lbs 10 oz. so on this pregnancy they have been doing fetal assessment and at 28 weeks baby was just over 2lbs and at 32 weeks baby was 3lbs 14 oz and they are calling that a small baby. back up in 2 weeks for my 36 week appointment where they will check the growth again. if growth has slowed dramatically they will bring me on but i think this baby could be an early one too like i went early on both ds's.
mrsb09 Posts: 1292
try not to worry, my niece was small all the way through was good bit under 6lbs when born 2 weeks over. she is still tiny, but my mother and my sister were and still are very same. my niece is the same as my sis in all the photos we look over. my sister is not 5ft shops in the kids section for clothes and looks like my niece is the same. once everything else is ok you should be fine. and all babies grow at different time u could gain a nice bit of weight in the next few weeks. once babs is fine thats the main thing. if there was anything to worry about they would keep you in.... best of luck...oh my niece is tougher than any little boy despite being small. never stops eating either and never sick....
lolly2010 Posts: 707