Small wedding

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

EveT Posts: 98
hi all, just got engaged last week, want to have a small wedding with about 40 people and then a big party a couple of nights later, not huge budget, is anyone planning anything like this or ever been at anything like it? Ive only ever been at weddings with 120+ Any advice or pointing me in the right direction is appreciated!!
tooyay Posts: 299
Hi EveT, Congratulations! and happy planning :o)ll We are the same there is no venues in Ireland that can host a small wedding most of the venues even limit the min numbers you can have (100 /100 +) unless you hire a function room in a pub but that will end up looking like a 21st I have never been to a wedding with less than 150 and looking at the polls the min numbers this is the standard. We have looked at loads of venues but cannot find something that suits (and that fits our budget) Keep me posted :)
shepiena Posts: 188
-
[quote="shepiena":3p5kuzp9][quote="EveT":3p5kuzp9]hi all, just got engaged last week, want to have a small wedding with about 40 people and then a big party a couple of nights later, not huge budget, is anyone planning anything like this or ever been at anything like it? Ive only ever been at weddings with 120+ Any advice or pointing me in the right direction is appreciated!![/quote:3p5kuzp9] have you tried any country house hotels, we are only haveing 19 people to sit down[/quote:3p5kuzp9] thats a good idea, will try that, and what are you planning for after the meal? Im only starting out looking into things, only got engaged recently!
shepiena Posts: 188
[quote="EveT":15099siv][quote="shepiena":15099siv][quote="EveT":15099siv]hi all, just got engaged last week, want to have a small wedding with about 40 people and then a big party a couple of nights later, not huge budget, is anyone planning anything like this or ever been at anything like it? Ive only ever been at weddings with 120+ Any advice or pointing me in the right direction is appreciated!![/quote:15099siv] have you tried any country house hotels, we are only haveing 19 people to sit down[/quote:15099siv] thats a good idea, will try that, and what are you planning for after the meal? Im only starting out looking into things, only got engaged recently![/quote:15099siv] ipods the room we have is small and we have use of a small sitting room off the private dining room too. We got ours off the blue book hotels website.
milinda Posts: 785
I've been to a wedding with 40 guests and it was fab, probably one of the best one's we've ever been at. If you give a rough location I'm sure some of us would be able to offer suggestions as to where you could have it.
MrsBran2Be Posts: 123
The blue book would be a good place to start. Lots of lovely unique venues that wouldn't cater for the usualy wedding madness in there. When we were going to look at bands we actually went along to 2 quite small weddings. One was very small - only 5 tables of 8 people each. That was in the Radisson in Stillorgan. Not their main room, but 3 connecting rooms for dancefloor, meal, and bar. One was in the Millhouse in Slane. That was probably slightly bigger than your numbers, but I would have thought it was suitable for your kind of size. I know Castleknock Golf Club have just started to do weddings for the winter when there's no golf. Depending on the time of year you're looking at, golf clubs could be worth looking into? Also now a friend's aunt had hers in Killashee House in Naas. Again, not in the normal ballroom, as it was a small wedding, so you could look into that, or again Castleknock Hotel cater for small weddings in their restaurant. Might be worth looking at? Apologies if you're not in the East - I won't have been any help at all if not!!
Im based in Dublin, would be thinking either something in dublin, or possibly going west towards clifden etc. what kind of things would you do in the evening with a v small wedding? Like the usual band etc with 40 people would totally take over like? Ive never been to a small wedding before but have decided its what I want, wish id even been to one!
GalwayDubBride Posts: 177
hi,wev been 2 a wedding wit 25ppl 4 meal,wit 60+ arriving 4 aftrs.the meal was fab,nice and intimate,wit gr8 party aftr.wer going to hav 65ppl at meal,wit 100 to aftrs.basicaly our family,aunts,uncles+1st cousins to meal.then a big party in seperate rm 4 aftrs wit al our friends+neighbours.
milinda Posts: 785
The one I was at the couple got married in Lady Chapel near Maynooth and had the reception in Carlton House. The Chapel was a perfect size for the numbers http://www.maynoothparish.dublindiocese.ie/ http://www.cartonhouse.com/weddings.html