Smear results

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

*gone* Posts: 4785
Hi girls, I hope you don't mind me gate-crashing into P&B like this, but I just thought you might be able to help me out with this. Has anyone ever had abnormal smear results? Last year I had "borderline abnormalities", but the repeat was fine. Then just now I have been sent back a "CN1" result, and then want a repeat in a few months time. The doctor says that most people revert to normal after a CN1, but what if I don't? What is the next step then? Thanks DD
WonderWol Posts: 2927
Hi I jad an abnornal smear years back, think I got CIN4 or somethign which meant I had to go in for a procedure. Basically it meant I had some pre-cancerous (note the PRE) cells that might or might no mutate into cancerous cells so rather than take a chance they lasered them off ... only took a couple of minute and was completely painless. I wouldn't worry really in your case they seem to be saying that with CIN 1 there's every cance the cells will revert to normal so you should be grand (think CIN 5 is the highest and most serious). Just don't forget to get the repeat smear done to be on the safe side.
Thanks for replying WonderWol ... I'm a bit nervous about TBH.
Chicken Licken Posts: 873
Hi Diamond Dizzy - try not to worry as CIN 1 is basically a slight abnormality in the cells and generally clears up itself. Here is some info from the web that may give you some information. My sister had CIN 3 and got the cells successfully removed in the UK and has not had any problems since. Try not to worry yourself too much! :thnk [b:1o20w4up]Abnormal smear results [/b:1o20w4up] Abnormal smears can be reported in two different ways. If you have abnormal cells you may be told you have Mild or slight cell changes (mild dyskaryosis) Moderate cell changes (moderate dyskaryosis) Severe cell changes (severe dyskaryosis) Your smear test result may say CIN 1, CIN 2, or CIN 3 instead of mild, moderate or severe. CIN stands for cervical intraepithelial neoplasia. This just means cervical cell changes. This classification is not strictly accurate as CIN can only really be diagnosed with a biopsy. But the smear results do indicate that you probably have CIN 1 if you have mild cell changes CIN 2 if you have moderate cell changes CIN 3 if you have severe cell changes The three grades of CIN relate to the thickness of the skin covering the cervix that is affected. CIN 1 means one third of the thickness of the skin covering the cervix has abnormal cells. CIN 3 means the full thickness of the skin covering the cervix has abnormal cells. Both the level of cell abnormality (mild, moderate or severe) and the CIN level will be taken into account when deciding whether you need treatment. All these results mean that cells have been found on your smear that were pre-cancerous. This does not mean you have cervical cancer. It means that some of the cells were slightly abnormal and that if they were left untreated, they could go on to develop into cervical cancer. Remember - we are talking about the smear test as screening for cervical cancer here. Screening means testing healthy women. If you have symptoms of cervical cancer, you may be given a smear test as part of the tests used to investigate your symptoms. This is a very different situation to having the smear as a screening test. Mild cell changes and CIN 1 If you have mild cell changes or CIN 1 your doctor will either suggest a colposcopy straight away or ask you to come back for another smear in 6 months time. Sometimes these slightly abnormal cells can go back to normal by themselves. But you should definitely go for your repeat smear. You can't assume that the cells will go back to normal. If your next smear is abnormal, you will then definitely have a colposcopy to check it out further. You may need some treatment. If the next smear is normal, you will still need a further smear in 6 months. The NHS guidelines say that you should have three normal 6 monthly smears, one after the other, before it is safe for you to go back to regular screening. Moderate or severe cell changes and CIN 2 or 3 If you have moderate or severe cell changes, or CIN 2 or 3, you will need treatment to get rid of the abnormal cells. There is more about treatment for an abnormal smear in this section of CancerHelp UK. You usually only need treatment once. Then you have follow up smears. If you do have an abnormal smear and have successful treatment you are very unlikely to get cervical cancer (provided you continue being screened). If you do not have treatment, you are very much at risk from cervical cancer. Carcinoma in situ CIN 3 is sometimes called 'carcinoma in situ'. This sounds like cancer, but it isn't. It means that some of the cells look cancerous. But they are all contained within the skin covering the cervix. It will not be a true cancer until the cells break through the top layer of skin covering the cervix and spread into the tissue underneath. If this happens, the cells can spread and then they will become a true cancer. You must have treatment as soon as possible if you have carcinoma in situ. As long as the affected area is removed, cancer can be prevented.
Chicken Licken thanks a million for that info ... it certainly has made things clearer in my head ... I'm a born worrier though but I'm sure the bottle of wine I have my eye on in the fridge will sort that out this evening. The only bit I didn't like is ... [quote:1bb41so5] If the next smear is normal, you will still need a further smear in 6 months. The NHS guidelines say that you should have [b:1bb41so5]three normal 6 monthly smears, one after the other[/b:1bb41so5], before it is safe for you to go back to regular screening. [/quote:1bb41so5] A smear every six months for the next year and a half?! :eek Awwww maaaaan! (*[i:1bb41so5]Mentally throws a miniature strop and kicks stones in frustration!*[/i:1bb41so5])
WonderWol Posts: 2927
Yup I had to have them every six months then once a year ...... didn't mind too much better to be safe than sorry. Try not to worry it really is just a precaution which is a good thing and you never know with a bit of luck the cells may revert back to normal ....... Hmmm you have just put me in the mood for a glass of vino now ..... :hic
Chicken Licken Posts: 873
My sister had one every 6 months for 2 years after her op but wasn't fazed by them at all. She looked at it that if anything did return it would be got immediately!! That wine you were looking at has great calming effects!! Or so I've heard!! O-O :o0 Enjoy your weekend!!
Thanks so much girls!! :thnk
29Sept07 Posts: 146
Skippy Posts: 1834
I got that result on my first smear test ever! I was so pissed off because I was so proud of myself for doing it I kind of felt I was owed a normal result but not to be. I was living in the UK at the time and they sent me in for a colocospocy (SP?) where they burnt off the precancerous cells,(I don't know why they decided to do that). I didn't feel it and it was grand except I was so uptight I got upset during it. It took 15 mins but physically it was not sore . My legs got the shakes though because there was no real support for them and 15 mins is a long time to hold them in the one position. But I have had clear results since then and I have one every year just in case, which makes 3 now.