Smear test results - up to 5 mths Wait

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Wol-Aholic Posts: 349
Girls Had a smear done last week and was told that it can take up to 5 months for the results to come back...... Sounds ridiculous, Anyone know if this is the norm????
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
THought it was 3 months?Crazy alright but what can we do
Mrs.Dee Posts: 372
I posted recently on this. It's a disgrace. I got a smear test done at the end of April and I still haven't got the results back. Seemingly it's because the Dublin 'testers' are so busy. If I was to get the smear done down home it would go to Waterford and it would take only two/three weeks to get the results.
Lorr06 Posts: 214
Thats mad, my sis had a smear test donw few months back and had results back in no time.....5mths wait is crazy
River Posts: 845
I got one done by my GP and the result was back within 10 days. 5 months is crazy.
nettie07 Posts: 293
hi there i had a smear test last sept and didnt get results back till feb, its crazy, as far as i know there is only one lab in the country that carries them out, may be some gps can get them done quicker if there is a problem with a prevous smear.
mad woman Posts: 22106
its only 5 months if everything is okay, I have had several "abnormal" smears and had them removed three times, and the last one was "cin 3" which is one highest and within 3 weeks I was called back in.
Baby Dancealot Posts: 189
went for one this week and was told i would have the result in 4-5 months, was told the same that not enough resources and a huge backlog
Mrs Neadi* Posts: 1128
I was only talking to my mother about this last night saying I was told 5 months wait so I'm getting it done up home, it takes 2-3 weeks there.
sunsparks Posts: 2196
Hi, Sorry you are waiting so long. I would just say hassle them, hassle them. However, it's not true to say that you only wait that long if all is normal. I waited 4 months before for a CIN 3 result. I think waited SIX months for a follow up smear result after I had LLETZ treatment. It's a disgrace. For more information on smears and cervical cancer, go to www.jotrust.co.uk. It's a great site. PS: Don't worry too much about the result. Even if you do have abnormal cells, 95% are treated without recurrence. Important to remember this.