Smoked salmon

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

babybliss Posts: 437
I love smoked salmon and as I seem to be off any other type of fish at present, do you think it's ok to eat? I reckon once it's cooked it should be fine? My DH makes a lovely pasta with salmon in cream sauce and I would just love to have it tonight.... Do you have any advice?
MRSHAPPY07 Posts: 464
I don't think you can it eat it hun..
Ohh nooo... looks like it's white bread with butter for dinner, as that's all I ssem to fancy at present...
maisedon Posts: 1394
Hi babybliss, My doc gave me a booklet called "Healthy Eating for Pregnancy" - here's what it says about smoked salmon: "Food and drinks to avoid during pregnancy: Raw or undercooked meat, poultry, fish and shellfish. Meat and fish that are 'smoked' or 'cured' are also unsuitable, unless they are fully cooked before eating" HTH! :wv
HoneyBee1973 Posts: 795
I'm pretty sure its ok to eat if it is cooked.....Its the raw smoked salmon you cant have when pregnant. I found this on [i:ix4sqywo][b:ix4sqywo]Can I eat cold meats and smoked salmon when I'm pregnant?[/b:ix4sqywo] Some countries advise pregnant women not to eat cold meats or smoked fish because of the risk of listeria. In the UK, we don't advise women to avoid these products because the risk is very low. The risk of listeria is much higher with cheeses such as Camembert, Brie or chevre (a type of goats' cheese), and others that have a similar rind, or pâté, which you shouldn't eat during pregnancy. However, if you are concerned, you might also choose to avoid cold meats and smoked fish while you are pregnant.[/i:ix4sqywo] Since the risk is from Listeria, then cooking would kill off the bacteria, so you are ok. I have eaten cold meats and eaten cooked smoked salmon fillets! Enjoy your pasta tonight! *)
oddwire Posts: 842
This is from the UK food safety website, which I'm using as my advice on what foods to eat: Can I eat cold meats and smoked salmon when I'm pregnant? Some countries advise pregnant women not to eat cold meats or smoked fish because of the risk of listeria. In the UK, we don't advise women to avoid these products because the risk is very low. The risk of listeria is much higher with cheeses such as Camembert, Brie or chevre (a type of goats' cheese), and others that have a similar rind, or pâté, which you shouldn't eat during pregnancy. However, if you are concerned, you might also choose to avoid cold meats and smoked fish while you are pregnant. I've had smoked salmon a couple of times... had a lovely bagel yesterday!! If you are concerned, then I would think that if the smoked salmon is being heated through with pasta then that would kill off the bacteria in it anyway. [url:p0k817bf]http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/agesandstages/pregnancy/whenyrpregnant/[/url:p0k817bf][/url]
oddwire Posts: 842
Snap!
:o0
Great minds think alike! :o0
Thanks girls, I'll have the past tonight so... I'm already hungry when just thinking about it :o)ll