Smoked Salmon ... vvv worried !!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Hopefully Posts: 254
Girls, I ate smoked salmon last night and now I'm really worried. Just read today that I'm not supposed to eat that while pregnant !!
Emme Posts: 4735
Hi Hopefully, it's unlikley you'll catch anything off it, it really is! And whats done is done now and don't be worrying! Think everyone does at least one thing they shouldn't especially in the early days. I thought I was great having smoothies from M & S only to discover they're made with unpasteurised Oj! So don't hassle. There's a sticky on here about food to avoid and all that. God, would love some smoked salmon! Emme
hopingforsoon Posts: 1152
Don't worry ... just avoid it from now on. Like Emme said, it's very very unlikely that it will cause any problems from just that one portion. Worrying about it now is not going to do you or your baby any good. My sister has been eating smoked salmon throughout her pregnancy, even though I read like you that you're not meant to eat it, and she's fine and the baby is healthy.
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
I wouldn’t worry too much Hopefully. At least you know now. I had smoked salmon on Monday & like you just read yesterday that pregnant women aren’t supposed to have it. I think having it once or twice probably wont do any harm! Sure what did our mothers & grandmothers do when they knew nothing about what food to eat/avoid!
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
i asked my consultant about smoked salmon at my 12 week app because I love it!! *) He said no problem eating it at all HTH
Emme Posts: 4735
Really Dublin Bride? Brilliant! I hate some of the myths that have developed over the years! At the start I had a spring roll with those little prawney looking things in them and I picked them all out and still worried, already I'm a bit more relaxed.
Hopefully Posts: 254
Ah thanks girls, such a relief. :wv
Dub gal Posts: 382
don't worry i've eaten smoked salmon, prawns, peanuts and blue cheese. To be honest i think all this stay away from this and that is a bit much like bet our mother's weren't told about any of these foods to avoid and we all turned out okay. I think all in moderation is grand
Forgottenpassword Posts: 1078
I have eaten Smoked Salmon all the way through this pregnancy as well, I make sure it is from a reputable source, but, other than that I am happy to eat it and I LOVE it. Don't be worrying. FP
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
peanuts are also fine, once you or DH arent allergic - in which case you wouldnt be eating them anyway!! :o0 this having to give up everything while pregnant is just ppl being very over cautious IMO