Smokes

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Missus08 Posts: 98
Tell me this giving up smoking malarky gets easier.....3 days and counting... Haven't even told anybody incase I fail. Painful. Am positively skittish from the amount of caffeine I've consumed. Not to mention the bladdar problems I must be developing from all the water. OK, feel a little better now. Apparently, the cravings come in 3 minute spurts..... see ye in 30. :-8
lambnose Posts: 915
It does get better and you will feel so proud of yourself. It is defo worth it. I gave up June 06 when I found out I was pregnant and I have not looked back since. I think as I get older a lot of my pals seem to be giving up also and I honestly can not think of one friend who smokes now. O-O The days of smoking are over! You can't even smoke in the pub anymore. The fun is gone out of smoking! Brush your teeth whenever you feel a nicotine craving. My mother relyed on Fox's Glacier mints to get her through. Find your own way of coping and you will make it!!
honeypot Posts: 278
It does get better but it's tough going. I stopped in June last year but in the last couple of months I've been having a few here and there. After the wedding I'm hoping to start afresh as if you're smoking at all, it doesn't really count IYKWIM. My main bit of advice would be to never kid yourself into thinking you can have one no matter how long you've been off for. Also congratulate yourself each day on stopping. The cravings will go away pretty quickly after a few weeks but it's the physcological bit you need to work on, well that was the case for me anyway.
Thanks for the support girls. I seem to be doing ok on a minute-to-minute level. The minute I think about NOT smoking next weekend or NOT smoking on my hen etc. is when the panic sets in. it's a bit bizarre really. Think I'm going to have to concentrate on now and today until this "never again" fear subsides. Off to buy some fox's now...... :wv
aston Posts: 4100
I really admire you Missus08. I wish i could do what you are doing! Like I dont smoke that much... until im out in the pub or with smoker friends (one left!!!) I was going to give up when my duty free ran out which they did last week but am studying at the mo and am using that as an excuse for smoking! My parents are visiting me here on thurs and fri and how sad am I but am distracted cause all I can think about is will I be able to go out the back of the house for a sneaky fag while they here etc!!! I am 28 years of age like come on grow up. I am ashamed of myself at how stupid I can be and I have these thoughts in my head that ill be 60 and diagnosed with cancer and know that I shouldve stopped smoking etc and Ill be saying then when Im 60 .... god why did I smoke etc etc !!! I dont know sumtimes I think they are an awful curse like Im coming near the time that I wil be ready to give up I hope soon!! Im def not enjoying them anymore! I smoke 2 in the car going into work in the morning and really dont enjoy them anymore!! Sorry for rant! I wish you all the best and any time you feel weak do what the girls said to take your mind off it! it is worth it and I am so sorry that I ever started xxxxx
[quote="Aston":1ii0757h]I really admire you Missus08. I wish i could do what you are doing! Like I dont smoke that much... until im out in the pub or with smoker friends (one left!!!) I was going to give up when my duty free ran out which they did last week but am studying at the mo and am using that as an excuse for smoking! My parents are visiting me here on thurs and fri and how sad am I but am distracted cause all I can think about is will I be able to go out the back of the house for a sneaky fag while they here etc!!! I am 28 years of age like come on grow up. I am ashamed of myself at how stupid I can be and I have these thoughts in my head that ill be 60 and diagnosed with cancer and know that I shouldve stopped smoking etc and Ill be saying then when Im 60 .... god why did I smoke etc etc !!! I dont know sumtimes I think they are an awful curse like Im coming near the time that I wil be ready to give up I hope soon!! Im def not enjoying them anymore! I smoke 2 in the car going into work in the morning and really dont enjoy them anymore!! Sorry for rant! I wish you all the best and any time you feel weak do what the girls said to take your mind off it! it is worth it and I am so sorry that I ever started xxxxx[/quote:1ii0757h] Thanks for this Aston, that has made me feel so much better in a weak moment. I could have written this post.... I've postponed giving up for the most ridiculous reasons too and had the tormenting "It'll be all my own fault when i'm dying etc" and STILL not giveng up. I have started the Alan Carr book but stopped reading INCASE I gave up?! I hate about 9 out of ever 10 cigarettes I smoke and I just LOVE that other one. In the end, vanity has kind of taken control of things, which is even sadder again! Got my teeth whitened at the weekend and you're not supposed to smoke for 24 hours, figured i might see how i go for another bit and somehow it's now tuesday and I haven't had one. Course, what's going through my rational mind is "I should have smoked more saturday"?! Hello? Anyway, I wasn't ready to give up. I'm still not sure I'm actually serious about it but I'll try again tomorrow, and again the day after and see how far I get. Up until this week, I've been smoking about 10-15 a day for 13 years and have never lasted longer than 24 hours, and that was mainly down to hangovers. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, if you find yourself suddenly off them for a few hours, try and keep it up and we can be support-buddies! :wv
honeyec Posts: 969
Don't buy Glacier mints, buy sugar-free ones or you'll ruin your teeth!
[quote="honeyec":u1sldxgr]Don't buy Glacier mints, buy sugar-free ones or you'll ruin your teeth![/quote:u1sldxgr] That would be just too ironic! Thanks honey.