Smoking

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

busybee07 Posts: 959
Of any of you that smoked before the BFP, did you all give up? Ive severly cut down since last thurs, but finding the cravings hard.
Tinker Bell Posts: 875
Congrats on your pregnancy, I'm 33wks pregnant and although I planned on quitting from early on, I never got round to it. Having said that I used to smoke approx. 30 a day, I'm down to less than 10 a day now and I'm slowly reducing it even more as each day goes by. I smoked on my last pregnancy 10yrs ago and my son was born perfect, he's very rarely sick but that doesn't mean I'm condoning my actions either, I just found it very hard to quit.
lovebug997 Posts: 4034
I'm finding it really hard as well! Before I got BFP I was smoking about 10 a day! For a good while I had cut it down to 1 maybe 2 a day but am finding that it's slowly creeping up to about 4 or 5 every day. SIL smoked like a train when she was pregnant n her little girl was perfect. A little on the small side but there was another reason for that. If I can keep it below 4 or 5 a day I'm not going to worry too much about it. Anyone tell the hospital that you weren't smoking when you were? I told them that I had cut way down the last day but was still having the odd one and was like I told them I was goin to eat the child the minute it was born. The looks of horror on their faces! Was thinking about just saying I'd given up just to avoid the lecture!
jiggy_jo Posts: 1166
I think non smokers esp those in the health care profession cannot comprehend how anyone could smoke when pregnant (i fall into both categories) but we are all adults and ultimatley have to justify our actions to ourselves and the little ones when they arrive. if you have made the informed decision to have one or two (or 4 or 5, whatever) and feel that is better for you than the amount you previously smoked then that should be good enough for everyone else. I dont think there is a smoker out there who dosnt know how bad they are so a lecture is a waste of time in my opinion. My mother smoked through all her pregnancies, and even through her labour with me. we and my siblings are all asthmatics, because of her smoking, well thats the million dollar question. congratulations on your pregnancies ladies and well done on cutting down :wv
arib Posts: 499
I would be honest with the hospital about it - it might be important for other reasons and they might need to know. You're just going to have to face the music but I think everyone knows it's hard to quit - they have to give you credit for effort. Of course they will say you shouldn't be smoking, they have to say it.
andypandy28 Posts: 553
I feel quite strongly about this one. Before I had DS I smoked about 20 per day but as soon as I found out I was pregnant I stopped and I found it unbelievably hard, but I thought I didn’t have choice as it was all about the unborn baby. I really think everyone should try to stop, we all know it’s really bad for unborn babies so everyone should at least try to do the best they can as its not the babies fault you were a smoker. I don’t think cutting down is an option I really believe that everyone, no matter how hard it is should try to stop. If I can do it anyone can. Im smoking again now, but not in the house or around Ds, but its only my body im polluting now.
2calm Posts: 187
I smoked 20 a day (40 on a night out) for nearly 15 years and gave up when I found out I was pregnant. I was stunned that I managed to do it (as I had failed many attempts to give up in the past and had gone through laser therapy, gum, patches, filters etc etc). I think the reason I managed it was due to my frame of mind at the time (a) I was sick and tired of being a smoker (while I loved them, I hated being dependent on them and was worried for my health) (b) I had always said if I became pregnant I would give up. Luckily while I didn’t suffer from morning sickness, the smell of smoke did make me feel nauseous in the beginning, which I am sure helped. But now that I’m nearly 7 months off them!!!, I am more determined than ever not to go back on them. That’s not to say I am totally over them, every now and again I feel like I could eat one, but I have gone this far now I don’t want to ever feel dependent on them again. It has to be one of the hardest things in the world to do, (so don’t beat yourself up if you cant or don’t want to give up yet) But being in the right frame of mind has to have a big impact on your success and when you do manage it, it is such an amazing triumph. Best of luck to anyone trying.
cheer bear bride Posts: 3731
I heard before that if you smoke and then stop suddenly when you are pg that the baby can go into some sort of shock or withdrawl? Havnt got a clue if its true or not! I stopped after my bfp last month but then I started again after I lost it, now am on 2ww and barely smoking coz I feel pg again(fingers crossed!)
birdie Posts: 954
I know my mum also smoked through all of her pregnancies, although not as much as she would normally, and we were all normal babies, none of us suffer from asthma or anything like that now, and we were all normal birth weights. I quit before I even knew I was pregnant because from the very first second they made me feel ill, and then just stayed off them once I knew, I suppose I was over the worst of the cravings by the time the sickness was gone. I did go right back on them about 3 weeks after the birth though and am still a smoker now, although I do smoke a lot less than I used to, maybe 4 or 5 in a day. I intend to stop again after the wedding once we're ttc. Best of luck to all of trying to quit, I know how tough it is! :thnk
*coolaboola* Posts: 374
I'm with you andypandy. i'm really shocked that anyone would keep smoking while pregnant! i gave up and i'd been on 20 + a day for over 10 years... i just don't get it. seriously, why would you continue to do something that has been proven to harm your child? of course the midwives are horrified when you admit that you're still smoking! :eek there are so many excuses but at the end of the day, it just so... selfish. sorry if i sound judgemental, but i feel really strongly about this.