Menu

Smoking?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

raspberry ripple Posts: 1809
I was listening to them on the radio talking this week about smoking and apparently 27% of people in Ireland smoke (down from 31%) so I was wondering what the WOL stats were...
Mrs..D Posts: 1741
I gave up when I got pregnant, I'd been on and off them all of last year while I was trying to get pregnant though. I'd love to say I'm fully cured and will never smoke again but I think I may be tempted when I start drinking again (hopefully not). I can safely say though I would never be a full time smoker again or smoke in the house/around the baby etc...
MamaFratelli Posts: 157
Gave them up a year and a half ago, glad I did, just discovered I'm pregnant.
ohsotired Posts: 7071
I've been smoking for 15 years - that's the first time I've ever written that and it makes me feel sick to think it's been that long. In a few short weeks it will be a year to do until we get married and other than the obvious health reasons for giving up I really don't want to be a puffing bride & have to save every cent I can so hopefully from next month I will be smoke free! Fingers crossed!!
MamaFratelli Posts: 157
Beat of luck with it Ohsotired, I was smoking nearly 20 years when I gave up and I loved them so much. It can be done. Just stay positive.
SGirl Posts: 2542
I gave them up about 2 months ago and then found out I was pregnant about 2 weeks ago, so GOOD TIMING!!!
Service Finder
Satine Posts: 790
Today is my first day off the ciggies. Im fine today, but tomorrow could be a different story. Im sick of the smell in the house. Im sick of going to the shop JUST for fags and coming out with unnessary rubbish too. Im sick of smelling like an ashtray. Im sick of the disgusting sticks staining my teeth. Im sick of feeling like cr*p in the mornings. Im sick of paying €8.45 on a disgusting pkt of fags. Im sick of saying everyday that Ill give up tomorrow, and never do. I pray to god that I stick with it. Fingers crossed!!!!
jen09 Posts: 1390
I never smoked, just never appealed to me & both my parents smokes & it turns my stomach; when I was pregnant FMIL would smoke into my face & then couldn't understand why we didn't want her minding dd when I went back to work? FFIL has smoked for approx 55yrs - he gave them up 4mths ago & is a new man; his lung probs won't ever get any better but the rate of breakdown they were at has slowed approx 80%, FMIL has also stopped. FFIL can now walk the 1/2mile to pick up his pension without huffing & puffing; he can talk to you without coughing & spluttering & his kids are all delighted that their dads life expectency has increased by 2yrs already. They should be poster models proving that you can stop at any age & you will be better off for it.
raspberry ripple Posts: 1809
[quote="Satine":1afp7wuv]Today is my first day off the ciggies. Im fine today, but tomorrow could be a different story. [/quote:1afp7wuv] Hey Satine, well done! I've never smoked but I have huge admiration for anyone that gives up smoking...I know that it is a very difficult thing to do. Your reasons for quitting are absolutely the right ones and hopefully that will help you to be strong. If you feel the urge, you should read over your post here. Hope it goes well for you :wv
angel1978 Posts: 1154
I gave up 4 1/2 years ago and would not even be tempted to start again. For anyone that is thinking of giving up i can totally recommend the Alan Carr 1 day course. They hold them all over the country and no word of a lie i walked out of there and never smoked again. I didnt even want to give up my 20 a day habit when i went. 6 of us went together and their success rate is 3 out of 4 and out of the 6 of us only 1 person continues to smoke. MIL and FIL came too and they had been smoking 40 years and have not touched one since.