snacks for during labour

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Rachel Berry Posts: 359
Hi guys:) Just wondering if anyone has planned on bringing some snacks to the hospital to eat during labour? If so, what are you planning on bringing? Thanks in advance:) [url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers:1ht1b56y][img:1ht1b56y]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tta981f.aspx[/img:1ht1b56y][/url:1ht1b56y]
amberjack Posts: 1273
I brought water, cereal bars and the Go bars. I ended up being induced and as I was in the induction ward, I got breakfast, lunch and tea, so was well full. Hubby ran across the road for a McD's.
LeonardandPenny Posts: 2684
we were told in HS you werent allowed eat once in labour (i presume active labour)?
SookieStackhouse Posts: 3135
[quote="MrsMesser":1jdpxwub]we were told in HS you werent allowed eat once in labour (i presume active labour)?[/quote:1jdpxwub] +1
amberjack Posts: 1273
I was Rotunda, ended up having a section as I didn't respond to the induction gel, so was told to fast after dinner and went to theatre at 9.30 pm. The others around me were in full on labour and were still given food - don't know if they were able to stomach it, but definitely got food.
tilsun Posts: 4506
[quote="MrsMesser":1lb4yp29]we were told in HS you werent allowed eat once in labour (i presume active labour)?[/quote:1lb4yp29] Did they say why not? Was allowed to eat in the Rotunda, I remember the midwife in the antenatal class saying nothing that was too strong and I suspected it was for the benefit of the attending midwife rather than the lady in labour ;o) Cereal bars and some sweets are good for energy
LeonardandPenny Posts: 2684
[quote="tilsun":1s651onr][quote="MrsMesser":1s651onr]we were told in HS you werent allowed eat once in labour (i presume active labour)?[/quote:1s651onr] Did they say why not? Was allowed to eat in the Rotunda, I remember the midwife in the antenatal class saying nothing that was too strong and I suspected it was for the benefit of the attending midwife rather than the lady in labour ;o) Cereal bars and some sweets are good for energy[/quote:1s651onr] i can't remember the reason sorry. I just remember her saying no food and thinking i'm gonna be starving if i'm in labour for hours :eek will try find out.
buttercupbabe Posts: 1224
on our gentle birth course, Tracey went through the various hospital policies. She said for some strange reason some hospitals have a no food policy but that there's no reasoning for it & if you bring your own snacks & are hungry & need to eat that they cant do anything to stop you..... seems strange to try stop you eating unless of course you're fasting for surgery
sunnygirl Posts: 1876
I was starving during labour, I didn't bring any snacks - won't be so silly this time, my bag will be stocked well with food! I wasn't even allowed a sip of diet coke - water only O:| You'd think they'd let you eat to give you a bit of energy?
pag Posts: 633
TBH food was the last thing on my mind. Once I realised I was actually in labour I had a shower and some toast at home. Once arrived in hospital at 8am I was 4cm and was 10cm at 12.30. DH was sent for a sandwich even though I had stocked the bag with cereal bars and juice. He spent his time giving me cups of water and I knocked them back in gulps. I'd put cereal bars/juice cartons and anything your DH/partner likes but you may not have any interest. I wouldn't put too much as if you have time to eat it may be a distraction for your partner to go to shop and get whatever you want.