so emotional over uncle

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kittenheart Posts: 1488
Hi girls, I'm so emotional today. My mother went into the bridal shop yesterday to pay the deposit on my dress and the lady informed her that my uncle had been in on Saturday and paid the whole bill in full, dress, shoes, veil, tiara the works. And he told her that if there was any more expenses she was to bill him directly. My mother was gobsmacked inside in the shop. She was welling up and everything and when I came from work yesterday she was blubbing away, I thought someone had died. Sure when she told me I was blubbing away as well. My uncle isn't married and there's only him and my mam in the family and he has always been good to us but this goes way beyond all of that. He arrived last night and was all blase about it, dismissing my protests about it being "too much money". He's not a one for showing a lot of emotions so he just said "I wanted to do it, and that's that so thats the end of it now stop going on about it, I'll walk you up the aisle (dad has passed away) and I'll sit at the top table, but I'm not making a speech o.k.". And I was like "ok" blubbing away and kissing him. Not only that but he was in discussions with my mother last night then when I was gone about the whole wedding thing, and asking mam how much this and that was costing and what was mam taking care of and he will help her out as well as he doesn't want my mam under pressure but he knows she wants to pay for things as she is the mother of the bride and all that so he told her he'll talk to her closer to the time re: the finances and he'll "make arrangements". Well I tell you myself and mam are going around like too eejitts blubbing and crying over him we are like "awww he's sooo good" and then off blubbing again. It's funny cos he can be quite straight laced and if there's any emotion about anything he's like "pull yourself together" kind of attitude. I'm so lucky to have an uncle like him, he's so good to me I feel embarrassed by it. I just wanted to share this girls thats all.
jarashow Posts: 3083
Ah you have me all welled up too. He is a treasure !! You've put me in a great mood this morning :o)ll
Higgs particle Posts: 4557
Ah thats lovely - he sounds like a really nice man - you and your mam are very lucky
Lemonpie Posts: 71
Ah that is so nice, what a very kind and generous man.. i am sure your dad woukld be very proud. Nice story to start the day...
Walking Bump Posts: 2095
Awww Xmaslove that's so lovely. I know what you mean. I asked my Mam if she could pay the deposit on my dress for me and when I went to give her the money she'd already paid for half of it out of her own money (and she doesn't work). My Dad is already giving me half of the cost of wedding and she just wanted this to be her own gift. I was in floods of tears. I know how you feel but that is a really nice gesture from your uncle. He's a big softie underneath it all! Oh and btw, noticed that we're only 5 days apart! I'm 30th November! Woo hoo!!!
Nolongerwollie Posts: 2181
He sounds like a gem - thats such a lovely thing to do & something you can tell your kids about....... & they'll probably blub too! You're lucky to have him! *)
hubble Posts: 299
Ahhh, that is such a wonderful gesture! You and your mum obviously mean alot to him. It must make you feel so good to know how much you mean to your uncle. Its a pity we can't bottle up these good feelings reexperience them on the days we are feeling stressed or down.
kittenheart Posts: 1488
Awww thanks girls, Wow buffy only 5 days apart, tis getting exciting now with the countdown on
snowwhite Posts: 1034
aww that is such a sweet thing for him to do for you. thank god there are some nice people left in the world.
Ca cest moi Posts: 7855
That is so sweet, it is one of the nicest things I have heard. Your Uncle must be a lovely man. Congratulations. *)