So fed up: about work- Update

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

shobie Posts: 1437
I am so fed up this morning. I am working in a job that I don't really enjoy, have no training for and in a company that is very unprofessional and disorganised. I had made the decision to go back to my old position which was in an industry I loved and was always excited by. I had a provisional offer by my old employers and was delighted. However when I realised I was pregnant I felt I should inform them of the situation as I didn't want to feel I came back under false pretences, IYKWIM. I would have felt guilty had I not told them and then 2 months down the line was sorting out maternity with them. So I told them ( against the advicer of many of my friends who said they would not finalise the offer once they knew I was pregnant). So bottom line is, they haven't finalised the offer and I am still stuck in this job that I really can't stand. I don't think I can bear it if I have to hold out until baby is due in June. But obviouly at this stage, noone else is going to hire me as I am starting to be obviousluy pregnant and illegal or not people do discriminate against pregnant women in the workplace. So help, I dont know what to do and its really getting me down. I hate coming to work and have no motivation when I do get here. I cant be without a job in the run up to the baby, although financially we could cope. Mentally I would lose my mind. So girls does any one have any advice. Feel like am stuck between a rock and a hard place...
mjm Posts: 393
Shobie, sorry you find yourself in such a position, its awful to hate your job, i've been there. If finances arent the major issue, could you approach someone in your old company and tell them that you'd be happy to come back now and not expect any maternity benefit from them, maybe they'd go for that? Hope it works out for you. mjm
Elliecat Posts: 2725
Great idea above. If you can afford to do this, it might be worth a shot. Believe me I know how you feel. I'm sitting in a job at the minute where I'm bored out of my tree, dealing with male chauvenistic a*sholes who are always right (in their own wee bubble) and I can't wait to finish up. They are giving me absolutely nothing extra on top of smp, so I have every intention of starting to look for something from about half way through my maternity leave and with any luck I won't ever have to set foot in this sh*thole again ( can you tell I'm having a bad morning??!!). Like you, the only thing that has stopped me leaving before now is the fact that I'm expecting.
Blackbird Posts: 5135
Sorry to hear you're miserable in work. If I was you I'd contact the previous employer and just have a chat, saying it's a while since they made the offer and you're wondering when it will be finalised as you're eager to start. Don't mention pregnancy, I wouldn't say anything about not taking maternity benefits either. You may not be entitled to paid leave (from the company, if they top up your wages) anyway as you won't have been there long enough before your mat leave. Personally, I wouldn't bring up the pg again, they know now and you're entitled to follow them up and ask where you stand since they made you an offer and you still want to accept it. It's pretty bad form that they haven't been back to you. Give them a ring and see where you stand.
babyboom Posts: 294
Hi shobie Sorry 2 hear u are going through such a rough time - believe me i know what it's like to work somewhere you're not happy. Your company sounds pretty much like the one I work for. I had considered leaving before finding out i was pg but decided against it as we really wanted to start our family this year. My advise would be to contact your old job - you have nothing to loose the worst they can say is the offer doesn't still stand at least that way you'll know. Don't let anything overshadow your pregnancy as it really is a special time. I know this is sometimes easier said than done, there have been days when I'm on the verge of tears in here & I just think to myself they're not going to win & struggle on. I have only 17.5 working days left & i'm counting the minutes - roll on :o)ll Like Elliecat says please God I won't be returning to this miserable sh*thole I'll sadly have 2 return to work it'll be hard enough to do without thinking I'll be leaving him/her to return to this crap. Sorry about long post - hope everything works out for you keep us posted
Looney07 Posts: 2393
Is there not a law against that?? They were prepared to give you a job until they heard you were PG. Thats discrimination. I know you dont want to sue and dont get me wrong I'm not suggesting but maybe a wee gentle reminder of this, plus if you can afford to then tell them you dont expected maternity pay and just claim from social
shobie Posts: 1437
Thanks for all the replies girls. Thing is they wouldnt have paid me any top up maternity pay anyway. It is discrimination but I wouldnt even consider going down that road. Thay are a huge national company and tbh it would be a nightmare. The original offer was only a preliminary offer, it had to be decided and approved by the board of Directors, when I told my old boss I was pregnant he was fine on the phone and said we would meet up in next couple of weeks. That was 2 weeks ago however and no word since. I don't want to ring him again as I feel I have said enough. For all the rest of you out there stuck in crappy jobs ye hate, how do ye manage it? How do ye get motivated?
babyboom Posts: 294
I don't get motivated just keep thinking that everyday that passes is a step closer to maternity leave - bring it on :o0 Think I will cry with delight on my last day - my old job motivated me this one doesn't........
Blackbird Posts: 5135
It's very hard to stay motivated in a job you hate and personally I've never manged it when I was miserable in work. Maybe you could look at it in terms of projects and see if you can find things to keep you occupied til you go on mat leave. I know you're not keen on ringing your old boss again but he left you hanging. As far as you're concerned you're still waiting to hear what the word from the Board was and I would certainly be following that up, you have nothing to lose. If they take back the offer, you know the reasons why and obviously you're not going to do anything about it, even though you could, but let them be the ones that feel bad about it, not you. Why don't you think about it and see how you feel next week.
Elliecat Posts: 2725
[quote="babyboom":5cb0hjzw]I don't get motivated just keep thinking that everyday that passes is a step closer to maternity leave - bring it on :o0 Think I will cry with delight on my last day - my old job motivated me this one doesn't........[/quote:5cb0hjzw] Same as above, and WOL of course!!!! I've been in jobs before where I've hated the people but loved the work and I've been busy and motivated, this one bores me to tears, I like the people but hate the work and its nearly impossible to get out of bed in the mornings. But I've only 13 more days to go :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll