So pissed off with the Rotunda

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
I had a check up last Wed and they discovered protein in my urine. So they took another sample and sent it off to the lab. The midwife told me she'd ring me at 12 if there was any problems, she suspected I had a kidney infection because the nitrate levels were off the scale and that doesn't normally happen. So I get no call at 12. As I've been having pains and running to the loo constantly since last weekend I feel myself I have an infection so I ring the midwife to find out exactly what the story is. She tells me that the 2nd sample was contaminated and I need to go back to them on Monday with a fresh sample. I won't get the results until at least Wed by which time I would have had the infection for at least 1.5wks >:o( TBH the midwife was very nice but had quite a strong accent and it was hard to understand everything she did say over the phone. I explained my concern about having to wait another 5 days to find out if I have an infection and she just brushed me off. Now I'm going to have to google to find out how serious (if at all) a UTI is to my baby. Does anyone know?
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
Thats rediculous!! Not sure if its serious for babs but if it was they would have called you in sooner no?? You shouldnt be left in discomfort for that length of time though - even if it is harmless to babs. Who are you under in there - Ive always found my cons to be very thorough??
Emme Posts: 4735
GET WAY FROM GOOGLE! I'll google it and link you the not scary sites! Seriously, you'll have yourself wound up and worried for the weekend and not be able to do anything about it.
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
[quote="Emme":xgxamcuv]GET WAY FROM GOOGLE! I'll google it and link you the not scary sites! Seriously, you'll have yourself wound up and worried for the weekend and not be able to do anything about it.[/quote:xgxamcuv] Good advice!! *) Meant to say too, I had a suspected kidney infection early on and rang the VHI midwife line, they will tell you to go straight into the hospital if the pain persists, so maybe make your way into the Rotunda and tell them you cant cope with the pain/uncomfortableness??
Dublin Bride - I'm going semi private so I don't have a consultant. I rang the SP clinic enquiring about my results and she just got a midwife to ring me. Emme - Thanks, I did google and found untreated kidney infections may cause early labour. I'm not looking anymore ;o( I'll just keep an eye on myself over the weekend and drink plenty of water (and go to the loo loads!). I would always put my trust in the hospital but because nobody called me to say the test needed to be repeated I'm a bit wary. Part of me wonders would they really call me in if there was a serious risk.
Okay, from what I read there briefly, UTI's need to be treated but they don't do any direct harm to the baby. It's like, if you weren't pregnant you'd need to get it treated as promptly as possible as well. It's like if you broke your leg, it won't affect the baby but you don't want to be hanging around with it. Danger is that it would damage your kidneys. So get moving on the hospital but don't be too worried about babs!
[quote="Rocket Queen":19sls5ex]I did google and found untreated kidney infections may cause early labour. I'm not looking anymore ;o( I'll just keep an eye on myself over the weekend and drink plenty of water (and go to the loo loads!). [/quote:19sls5ex] ahhhhhhh!!!!! that was only one website!! You cheated, you went to the worst case scenario. Bold rocket queen!! Is Cranberry juice meant to help BTW?
You're dead right Emme - it was worse case :-8 Cranberry juice is good but unfortunately I can't drink it coz it gives me toothaches!! I'm just going to drink loads of water and relax. I'm sure if it was very serious the midwife would have brought me in today. I'm just so mad about the way they handled it. On Wed the midwife told me not to ring (and I asked her a few times, coz I thought it would be easier for me to remember than her) and not to worry if she didn't ring me that it meant everything is ok.....well she was wrong >:o(
neeov Posts: 4256
Cranberry juice is supposed to stop the bacteria sticking to the walls of the urinary tract. Its worth drinking some, may prevent the infection picking up in another area. Can you go to your GP to get tested again and maybe get a result before next Wednesday? Do they need the lab result to know that you need an antibiotic? GP may prescribe antibiotics based on your urine analysis alone? Midwife probably won't bother the consultant unless she has the lab results.
pattie Posts: 2379
I was going to say the same as needv, I think the GP can get an instant result to indicate whether or not an infection is present and prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic if it is. The lab can pinpoint the type of bacteria but it always seems to be just augmentin when you're pg anyway so they probably wouldn't prescribe any different. Hope you get it sorted before the weekend.