solids before 6 months?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

windycity Posts: 2241
Hi girls, just wondering if anyone moved to solids before 6 months and how it went>?
mamajen Posts: 2263
We started at 4 months, my little one loves her grub.
Bluebear Posts: 1594
I started DD at 19 weeks as she suffered from silent reflux. I started with one meal a day and began with baby rice (which she wasn't that keen on). DD loved fruit & veg purees -the stranger the combination the better so I stuck with these. I followed a mixture of spoon feeding & baby led weaning. Most of the time DD is a great eater and will eat most things.
Bluebear Posts: 1594
jewellb Posts: 2389
We were told to wean at 4 + months because of DA silent reflux, my friend started it at 3 months just baby rice !!
MrsMommy Posts: 1112
17 weeks is the recommended minimum for weaning for a full term baby unless medically advised otherwise.
twinbambinos Posts: 3492
[quote="Bluebear":3viu8r95]I started DD at 19 weeks as she suffered from silent reflux. I started with one meal a day and began with baby rice (which she wasn't that keen on). DD loved fruit & veg purees -the stranger the combination the better so I stuck with these. I followed a mixture of spoon feeding & baby led weaning. Most of the time DD is a great eater and will eat most things.[/quote:3viu8r95] Pretty much the same as bluebear, I started my two are 20mts due to silent reflux and also due to the fact that DD never really loved formula. She only ever drank about 5ozs and just seemed hungry and the formula just wasn't doing it for her! Thankfully they both took to it straight away and have always been great eaters for me. Started off with one meal a day of baby rice and then moved onto include other meals after a few weeks. Also did a lot of finger foods aswell.
Sassypants Posts: 4461
[quote="MrsMommy":2n2mozs6]17 weeks is the recommended minimum for weaning for a full term baby unless medically advised otherwise.[/quote:2n2mozs6] Was just about to say this. We started on baby rice at 4 months. Pressure from family and the 4 month sleep regression made me do it. Don't regret it as he is flying it now but if we have another I would like to hold out longer. I miss the convenience of just milk feeds!
MiniBlingfor2012 Posts: 673
Windycity, seemingly 4-6 months is the recommended for bottle fed babies, 6 months for breasted babies but I was told the same not before 17 weeks where possible. I started my dd just shy of 18 weeks so over 2 weeks in and she is loving it. It depends on the baby and if they are ready. Signs are them showing interest in ur food, not bring satisfied after bottle, possible sttn babies waking during the night. Do I think ur babs is ready urself?
sweetbubbles Posts: 377
There was a consultant paediatrician on news talk during the week, talking about feeding solids before 6months, his advice was to not feed before 6 months, as he reckoned it was contributing to the obesity epidemic. It's prob very easy for him to say it when he doesn't have a hungry baby crying in front of him who just isn't satisfied by just milk anymore.