solo travel.... would you?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Babybump2013 Posts: 271
following on from other topics on what you would do alone would or have any of you gone travelling or on holiday on your own? it's something i am considering but since i wont even go to the cinema solo unlike some other brave souls it could be interesting!!!....
seedee Posts: 1017
no its lonely!! ive been away for work alone, and even that i found daunting. that said, id like to think that if there were somewhere that i dreamt about going, that i would suck it up and go rather than miss out. i travelled to thailand and back alone, but i was meeting up with a friend who was travelling over there at the time. that was brave, wasnt it?
tassajara Posts: 723
I have gone travelling for a few days on my own when I lived in Poland, I went to Prague and Olomouc in the Czech Republic by myself. In two weeks time, I'm also going to be packing my bags for a three day trip to Rome by myself, as part one of a longer holiday in which I'm going to meet my fiance after a few days there. I love solo travel, not having to follow anyone else's schedule, not having to put up with other people saying we'll leave in five minute, oh no, another five, or having to put up with people being fussy about food. Don't get me wrong, I love travelling with other people but some time away can be good.
tassaajara that is true & having to tolerate peoples quirkes would drive me mad (apart form DH's of course).... but i can well imagine they would say the same about me!
galwaygirl2010 Posts: 2447
[quote="tassajara":3dpbohm0]I love solo travel, not having to follow anyone else's schedule, not having to put up with other people saying we'll leave in five minute, oh no, another five, or having to put up with people being fussy about food. Don't get me wrong, I love travelling with other people but some time away can be good.[/quote:3dpbohm0] +1
mrswifey2012 Posts: 2042
Have never done it and wouldn't either, it's just not my cup of tea. Depends on the person though!
SunnyK Posts: 3834
I was just thinking about this last night actually! I'm reading a book that's set in Paris and it got me thinking how much I'd love to go back to Paris & Rome for a few days. All of my friends are attached and would understandably use their money to go on hols with their OH's so it leaves me with NOBODY to go on city breaks etc with. I am just DYING to go back to New York too but at this stage it's either go on my own or don't go at all. I'm not afraid of going on my own at all or of people thinking I'm a weirdo / loner... the only thing that puts me off is that holidays are such a luxury for me cos I haven't much cash at the moment and to spend it on a holiday on my own is such a shame when I'd enjoy it much more if I could go with someone. I'll have to think about it nearer to the end of the year when I might have some savings built up. Have to say I would be pretty nervous going somewhere like Thailand or India or something on my own where there would be a bigger language barrier and cultural difference iykwim.
PaniniRoses Posts: 3628
I went away for a week by myself a few years ago, a package thing to the Canaries so not exactly exotic or far flung, but I finished all 10 of my books and spoke only to the girl in the mini market, the waiters when I went out for dinner and a taxi driver one night! It was bliss. There were three minor issues though - 1) no one to put sun cream on my back, 2) no one to deal with a cockroach attack and 3) the looks I got from other people when I went out for dinner with my book. I was perfectly happy on my own, but other people seemed to find it weird which then made me uncomfortable.
sunnyk - i would have no issue with travelling to rome solo - it's just such a wonderful city where you can get caught up in the tours & sights that you forget everything. from a cost perspective it's not too bad particularly if you go down the hostel route - some of which are meant to be lovely. +1 on having noone to travel with - my dh is tied with work & everyone else has either moved abroad ie canada, oz or back in education and skint!
scullly Posts: 240