Some advice?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Nobigdress Posts: 452
Hi there. I have a friend who has just told me she is pregnant. She is terribly shocked and will take some time to come to terms with it for a number of reasons I can't go into but I want to make sure she is doing the right things until I can get her to go see the doc. That could take months so I just want to know from your own experiences, what were you told to do by the doc and what did he/she test you for when you first went in? Below is what I think she needs to do... 1. start taking folic acid immediately 2. Get in for a scan at 12 weeks (she is 4 weeks now she thinks) I'm thinking that between now and 12 wks she doesnt really need to do anything much but if anything stands out to you (like blood tests that are pretty essential etc.) can you let me know. I know she should avoid certain foods and booze but I recon she cant do too much wrong. Thanks in advance.
ciaraella Posts: 5323
Hope your friend is ok nobigdress and you sounds like a good friend to be so concerned. The main thing is to take folic acid, avoid alcohol and cigarettes and pate and liver, from everything i've read they are the big no no's. Mrspoppyseed is right re booking into a hospital, the sooner she emails/phones the better because she might be a while waiting on an appointment. best of luck to her
Winter B2B Posts: 3494
She needs to book into maternity hospital as soon as possible. the quicker she does this teh sooner she'll get an apt. In Holles St, unless there is problems she won't have scan until after 20 weeks. Other things she should avoid as soft cheeses, sea food, raw/soft eggs. Actually read this post and you should find all you need. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=172661