Some General Questions

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bonnie Parker Posts: 2670
I just have a few general pregnancy/maternity related questions - some of which I'm sure are a bit basic! - Mat Leave is 26 weeks. Do I just count the weeks from when I finish work (week 38) -up to 26 weeks and then add on any Bank Holidays etc? And then count 16 weeks from the end of paid mat leave for the unpaid leave and do the same with Bank Hols, just adding them on at the end? (Im Public Sector). - I'm I correct in thinking that I will be in hospital for 2 nights with natural (is that the right word?) birth, but 5 with C Section? I realise this may differ from hospital to hospital. - I have a scan at 33 weeks & I am public. What generally happens at this scan? Will I find out the baby's weight at that point? What happens after this point - will it just be usual doctor visits if all is well - or would you usually have another hospital appointment? - The baby is supposed to be head down? Which it is at the moment. (**stupid question alert**)If it is any other position - does this mean you would have to have a c-section? As you can see I'm fairly clueless!
chicabride Posts: 453
* Report this post * Reply with quote - Mat Leave is 26 weeks. Do I just count the weeks from when I finish work (week 38) -up to 26 weeks and then add on any Bank Holidays etc? And then count 16 weeks from the end of paid mat leave for the unpaid leave and do the same with Bank Hols, just adding them on at the end? (Im Public Sector).[b:szgdi35i]Yes and your job should sign them off before you leave[/b:szgdi35i] - I'm I correct in thinking that I will be in hospital for 2 nights with natural (is that the right word?) birth, but 5 with C Section? I realise this may differ from hospital to hospital. [b:szgdi35i]Could be less...could be out on the same day!![/b:szgdi35i] - I have a scan at 33 weeks & I am public. What generally happens at this scan? Will I find out the baby's weight at that point? What happens after this point - will it just be usual doctor visits if all is well - or would you usually have another hospital appointment? [b:szgdi35i]Yes usual doctors visits if everything is ok. Its usually an anomoly scan to make sure everything is ok with your baby They can give you a rough weight..but IMO they never get it right!![/b:szgdi35i] - The baby is supposed to be head down? Which it is at the moment. (**stupid question alert**)If it is any other position - does this mean you would have to have a c-section? [b:szgdi35i]Yes if baby is breech you may need a section..baby can turn t the last minuite though[/b:szgdi35i] As you can see I'm fairly clueless!
pag Posts: 633
Hey Bonnie, Maternity Leave - decide what friday you are finishing and then you start your ML from the following Monday and count 26weeks. You have to add your unpaid leave immediately onto the ML period and then bank holidays and other holidays but most companies will count it the way you describe for payment purposes. Most public sector HR depts have a form that you have to fill in separate to the MB form. You don't have to stay in hospital at all if all went well with birth. Especially if there is early transfer team to visit. Which hospital are you attending? Def see if there is early transfer team as the one to one visits at home are invaluable. You get to ask all your own questions and dont' feel as if they are stupid or as if you are rushing the midwife. CS is always longer. Doctors cannot judge baby's weight reliably at all so don't be stressing if they say baby is x weight. After that there are appt. weekly/fortnightly usually alternating between your GP and hospital if doing combined care. Best of luck.
Chicabride & Pag - Thanks a mill. That's great. I'm attending a rural hospital 'down the country' so I doubt there is an early transfer team - but I'll check it out. Would it be a full Anomoly scan at 33wks? I thought that this was only possible up to 24/26 weeks - as the baby would be too big beyond that? Or am I talking complete rubbish... Thanks Again :thnk
candypants Posts: 8575
I would think the 33 week scan is just to check baby and not an anoamoly (sp) scan. Your right in thinking baby will be to big then. I only had 12 week and 20 week scan in public hospital so am open to correction. Best of luck with it all :o)ll
Diddums2 Posts: 106
Don't forget to add on any holiday leave you may have accrued during your time off (if you are taking it as extra leave that is) - I got almost an extra month on my ML as I had almost a full year's holidays to use up before I went back.
Thanks girls - don't fell as clueless now! :thnk