Some hosp advice plse in Cork area - private v's public?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

corkrebel Posts: 744
Hi girls, I am so new to this..my pregnancy has been confirmed this morning but I am at a loss as to my next big decision....private or public... I am hoping to opt for St Finbarr's Hospital in Cork but am unsure of the difference with going private or public? I am with VHI. It sounds terrible, but I am concerned about the financial aspect of it as I do not get paid while out on maternity leave so I need to be practical about our finances... can anyone shed any light on this for me? thanks in advance!
Soho Posts: 182
Hi CorkRebel I am going to the Bons so let me break down the price for you. Consultant fees: 1750 Hospital fees: 3500 approx VHI covers 2100 so we will have to pay €3150 which is quite expense (didn't realise how much till I wrote it here). Financially it will be quite tight for us but my GP told me that St Finbarrs and Ernville are getting quite decreipt because they are moving in March so whats to point in doing it up and they are also quite overcrowded.
jellybaby Posts: 2316
I don't know about Cork, but for Waterford, my consultant if I was going private would be 2200, as well as hospital fees. I have Bupa which would cover the hospital fees, and a small portion of the consultants fees, but we would still be paying 2000, so we decided to go public. You'll still get the same level of care, just won't see the same person each visit, and will end up on a public ward, instead of private (although private room is not guaranteed). And I think for the sake or 3 days or so, a public ward is not the end of the world. We thought about it for a couple of weeks, and came to the conclusion that 2000 would be a strain on us, and that we'd rather have that money to spend in things we need for the baby. Best of luck with the decision :wink:
corkrebel Posts: 744
Thanks much girls..I guess I need to figure out what the consultants fees will be ... I dont really mind go private or public...although I think that I would have a preference for a private room for my stay but sure, you are not guaranteed that anyway! have to do some research!
charli Posts: 5994
[[quote:19snrtfp] don't know about Cork, but for Waterford, my consultant if I was going private would be 2200, as well as hospital fees. I have Bupa which would cover the hospital fees, and a small portion of the consultants fees, but we would still be paying 2000, so we decided to go public. [/quote:19snrtfp] this was pretty much same for me in Limerick, BUPA paid for my hospital stay(s) (i had a few in late preganncy) and in that instance it was nice to have my own room as i had 4/5 1/2 night stays throughout, wouldn't have minded being in Public Ward but because i was there a few times it was a nice, at the time the consultant was 1850e (3 yrs ago) and bupa paid 300e so we paid 1550e. it was nice going to her rooms and seeing the same person so in my view and i had a few little complications it was worth it. having said that the Public care is fantastic and you get to see the Private Consultants in their public capacity or perhaps their Registrar and you would get to see him/her if needed. my cousin had lots of complications in her pregnancy and my (private) consultant was her (public) consultant and she always saw her on her appointments because of the problems she had. it's a personal choice really, to be honest don't know if i would go Private again, but i think you're own room/semi room is a must if you have cover as so many hospitals are unfortunately overcrowded
sally Posts: 1140
I heard you can go semi private and its costs about 500 after VHI covers the rest. Anyone know what semi private would entitle you to. Private is very expensive.