Some pregnancy myths dispelled!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Elegance Posts: 2848
Hi girls - had a scan today and an appmt with our consultant. All going brilliantly :lvs Our little goregous baby was bouncing around on the screen :lvs Anyhow, I had some q's for our consultant and thought I'd share some of the answers with you.... I know how many q's we all have when we first get pregnant. 1. Can the heartrate determine sex of baby? Had read that a hr between 120 - 140 = boy, 140 - 160 = girl. False!! Apparantly if you had a scan twice in one day, the hr could be completely different both times. No truth in this at all. 2. Should I avoid Peanuts/peanut butter in case baby gets allergy? No!! - It is scientifically impossible for a baby in the womb to develop a nut allergy just because you eat peanut butter. The only reason you should avoid nuts is if YOU have a nut allergy yourself. 3. I have really bad ms - I'm worried that I'm throwing up my folic acid, is this dangerous for baby? No. once you get to 6 weeks your babies spinal cord is developed, so its before and the first 6 weeks of pg that it is mostly needed for. He said to cointinue taking till 12 weeks, but as of now its really unneccessary. Anyhow, thought I'd pass this info on .... :wv
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
Elegance, firstly congrats on your scan. Great news!! Delighted that your little bean was putting on a performance for you!! :o)ll :o)ll That is very handy info about the questions you asked. Off I go to buy myself a mega bag of chocolate peanuts!! :-8
milis Posts: 7998
Glad to hear the scan went well! It concerns me that doctors don't agree on the peanut thing. I asked my doctor, expecting her to rubbish it, but she told me to stay away from them! I've decided to stay away from them anyway, what harm for a few months! As for the heartrate, my baba has been under and over, so unless it had a sex change... :o0 I think with most of those old wives tales, they are best ignored!!
fxfor3 Posts: 2347
thats mad about consultants differing on peanut thing. I had asked mine and she said because i have asthma to steer clear of them as there is higher risk of baby developing allergy if one or both parents have asthma or nut allergy already. I know lots of girls that ate peanuts all the way through and had no problems.
Elegance Posts: 2848
I think that its really important that whatever your own consultant says, stick to it. I've been really craving peanut butter on toast for some reason. think i'll have an odd treat with it..... >:o) but i've no history of allergies in my family, so it should be fine. I'd defo stay clear if there was a history though, just to be on the safe side. KN how did your scan go?
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
Elegance my scan isnt actually until tomorrow. I thought yours was tomorrow & not today! I can't wait, Ill let you know how I get on! :wv
red_rubies Posts: 2424
[quote="GARFIELD + 1":283bsy4n]thats mad about consultants differing on peanut thing. I had asked mine and she said because i have asthma to steer clear of them as there is higher risk of baby developing allergy if one or both parents have asthma or nut allergy already. I know lots of girls that ate peanuts all the way through and had no problems.[/quote:283bsy4n] I was told this as well. DH has asthma so I was told to stay clear of peanuts. It's all so contradictory!! Congrats Elegance, glad your little babs is doing well!! :o)ll
tilsun Posts: 4506
Elegance, delighted to hear ur scan went well. The peanut thing is one of the more confusing ones. I read that as I have excema I should avoid them. Not really fussed over them so don't care much one way or another. Am just waiting for them to say white wine is not only safe, but good for the baba :o0 :o0 :o0